Windows 7 File issue pop up on start up

jrpinto

When I start up my computer and log in I get a windows pop up that asks to choose what program to open a file with, the file is called "James" (My name).
The file type is "File". This just started this week, I haven't chosen a program to open it with, as I do not want to cause a serious issue or problem.
How can I get this to stop happening?

If you look in Msconfig (Just type that into the Run search bar) and look under the start up tab, I am sure you will find something is sitting there causing the problem. If you cannot identify the culprit, post a picture of you start up tab and we can have a look at it for you.

I wouls suggest you perform a complete virus scan on your computer.

You can also download Autoruns for Windows v9.57 to see what's loading at startup

Introduction

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys.

You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

Autoruns' Hide Signed Microsoft Entries option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system and it has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts configured on a system. Also included in the download package is a command-line equivalent that can output in CSV format, Autorunsc.

You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically!

Screenshot

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Back