Windows 7 File Sharing Network Administrator Issue

CastorTroy

I'm trying to set up a file and sharing network between my PC's, 2 Win 7's and 1 Vista, and I'm having a bit of trouble. I followed all the steps in the tutorials across the web including this link, How To Share Files and Printers Between Windows 7 and Vista - How-To Geek, and the closest I could get is the Vista accessing one of the 7's. All the PC's see each other, it's just when I try to access files over the network with the 7's I get a "You don't have permission to access...contact your network administrator" error. I'm the admin on both computers and I really can't get by this. It's so frustrating, I have been doing this for like 3 days already.

Just a bit of info, I do have BitDefender 2011 on both the 7's and not the Vista. Although it might not make sense, I thought this might be the issue of why the Vista can access one of the 7's, I disabled the service through msconfig -> services and startup. Also disabled the firewall on all. It still didn't fix the problem.

I've never set up a network administrator, so I wouldn't know how to go about fixing this problem.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Update:
I actually figured it out. Although I enabled sharing with "everyone" and set permissions to full control, "everyone" was not showing up under group and users in the security tab. I just added that and voila. Something so simple made me almost pull out my hair.

Last edited:
Could you please post how you did this step by step for future reference's? BTW, nice job on figuring it out on your own.

The sharing, permissions and ownership can be a real pain to figure out in Windows 7 and Vista. I ran into this on of one of my external HDs after updating to SP1. I just fumbled through it.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom