Windows 7 File size does not update in explorer

albanderuaz

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with explorer: when I open a directory for example, and if a file in that directory is in use and 'growing' (its size is increasing), I don't see the change in the displayed size in the "size" column of explorer, even if I press F5. Strangely, it does update if I right-click on the file, press "properties" and close the properties window.

Any help? Thank you!

Solution
This issue you are experiencing with Windows File Explorer not updating the file size in real-time might be due to the way File Explorer handles refreshing and updating file information. Let's explore some troubleshooting steps to address this problem:
1. Refresh File Explorer:
- Pressing F5 in the File Explorer window should normally refresh the view. If this is not working, try using the manual refresh feature by right-clicking in the folder window and selecting "Refresh."
2. Clear File Explorer Cache:
- Sometimes, File Explorer cache can cause issues with displaying updated file information. You can try clearing the cache by restarting the File Explorer process.
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task...
This issue you are experiencing with Windows File Explorer not updating the file size in real-time might be due to the way File Explorer handles refreshing and updating file information. Let's explore some troubleshooting steps to address this problem:
1. Refresh File Explorer:
- Pressing F5 in the File Explorer window should normally refresh the view. If this is not working, try using the manual refresh feature by right-clicking in the folder window and selecting "Refresh."
2. Clear File Explorer Cache:
- Sometimes, File Explorer cache can cause issues with displaying updated file information. You can try clearing the cache by restarting the File Explorer process.
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
2. In the "Processes" tab, locate "Windows Explorer."
3. Right-click on "Windows Explorer" and select "Restart."
3. Change Folder Options:
- Adjusting the folder options related to display settings might help resolve the issue.
1. Open File Explorer.
2. Go to the "View" tab.
3. Click on "Options" and then select "Change folder and search options."
4. In the "View" tab of the Folder Options window, make sure that "Refreshing" settings are set appropriately.
4. Check Disk Space:
- Ensure that there is enough disk space available on the drive where the files are located. Lack of free disk space can sometimes lead to display issues in File Explorer.
5. Run System File Checker:
- Running the System File Checker tool can help fix corrupted system files that might be causing this issue.
1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
3. Wait for the scan to complete and follow any on-screen instructions.
6. Update Windows:
- Make sure that your Windows operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Sometimes, updating Windows can resolve compatibility issues.
Try these steps and see if they help in resolving the issue with File Explorer not updating the file sizes in real-time. If the problem persists, further troubleshooting may be needed.

Solution
Back