Windows 7 Files before upgrading

blackzr

Hi I'm planning to install Windows 7 later in October and regarding my files in my computer... i did research and I can choose format or without format in middle of installing Windows 7. So I can just install it without formating.. but some people said don't trust this back up too much.

So I was thinking maybe i might need 500 Giga USB and put everything into this usb and install Windows 7. But 500 Giga usb is rather expensive... so is this good move?

How large is your existing hard disk? Could you not partition and install on the empty one? Or if you lack space, possibly just tansfer your personal data to the newly created (Smaller) partition.?

Windows 7 likes to make a reserved partition, 100MB~, at the start of the drive so it would be smart for you to add a partition and move/copy your important files to the second drive "D:" for example. Then when installing Win7 delete the first primary partition, "C:", and let Win7 make it's reserved partition plus the "C:" partition to install to.

If you think you might delete the wrong partition and want to be really safe copy your important files to another HDD or removable disc media just to be really safe.

Good Luck!

unfortunetely, i don't have second drive. Looks like USB i mentioned is the best choice. Thanks for help.

I would dual boot. I would get the USB drive and back up everything first. Next I would do some searching and partition the HD. I'd make a 40 gig for windows 7. Resize the the present OS and move all data to a third partition. Then install Windows 7. With a big HD you have plenty of room.
Joe

unfortunetely, i don't have second drive. Looks like USB i mentioned is the best choice. Thanks for help.

Yes, absolutely, without doubt. The only people who exist in this world are,, "Those who HAVE lost data and those who WILL lose data" there is no in between. If you don't want to lose it during an upgrade,,,, back it up,,,, or don't complain.

The only things that the install saves during the Install of windows is general stuff like the profile and windows folders, program files....

If you have any files or folders located on the root (C: drive), then it is very likely they will be blown away.

Do the right thing and back up your data. Spend the money,, or you will regret it later.

end of line

Yes, absolutely, without doubt. The only people who exist in this world are,, "Those who HAVE lost data and those who WILL lose data" there is no in between. If you don't want to lose it during an upgrade,,,, back it up,,,, or don't complain.

The only things that the install saves during the Install of windows is general stuff like the profile and windows folders, program files....

If you have any files or folders located on the root (C: drive), then it is very likely they will be blown away.

Do the right thing and back up your data. Spend the money,, or you will regret it later.

end of line

VERY well put Tepid! :) Many people don't listen to these warnings though.. And suffer the consequences as a result.. Ignorance.. ;)

Thanks Rad,,,

I would also like to add,,, do not worry about this alleged 100M Partition,,,, if you just want to get Win 7 install,, don't confuse things with that 100M thing

Thanks Rad,,,

I would also like to add,,, do not worry about this alleged 100M Partition,,,, if you just want to get Win 7 install,, don't confuse things with that 100M thing

Actually it is important as it is the boot partition and is marked active. Its all part of the new security and recovery system 7 carries. But if you think it doesn't matter do as you wish personally it doesn't hurt anything Windows automatically makes it so what can one say.

What I was meaning is,, just leave it there as it is installed by default. 7 is a new OS, and provides new features,, this apparently is one of them, that I personally would not worry about trying to get rid of, unless I was doing some elaborate dual triple booting with linux or other non-windows OS. And only then if it were causing problems, otherwise I would leave it.

Back