firefox-61.0 update (issue) …

pnamajck

Honorable Member
firefox-61.0 update … i had experienced browser slowing down to a crawl … ended up being adblock-plus addon … apparently, i had disabled one of the three filter-lists. as always, first thing one should try is disabling all addons. thought i'd end up having to reinstall adblock-plus … but wasn't necessary. just disabled the addon and closed down firefox … re-enabled and updated the filters. good as new.

so … this post is just in case someone else has similar issue … thanks.

I have mine set up to use the Steven Black Hosts file. It blocks ads system wide. Once in a while one sneaks past in an app that has the ads built in. But that's very uncommon. It's good enough that I haven't used an ad blocker in my browser for over a year.

I've stopped using Chrome because of another issue and switched back to Firefox. It always had a few problems rendering some stuff on websites. It still has a few issues that weren't there with Chrome. But I'll put up with it because I found the coolest thing. The "Dark Night Mode" extension can turn almost every website I've tried it on into "Dark Mode". I love that. :)

actually … i hadn't heard about a 'dark mode' extension for firefox. as to utilizing a host-file rather than ad-blocker … will definitely look into that … might cut down on all those website 'refusals'. thanks for sharing, stueycaster.

Ok I found a solution to the problem I was having with Chrome. I've never seen Chrome stack text on top of other text like Firefox does occasionally. I do really like the Dark Night Mode extension even though there is the occasional problem with the text matching the background and being unreadable.

The thing with Chrome is they removed the Stylish extension. I guess there was malware found in it. I really can not handle looking at bright white backgrounds all the time. The next thing you know I have a bad headache. So I always turn backgrounds dark as much as I can. That's what I was doing with Stylish. They've replaced it with Stylus. It's good but you have to have separate userstyles for different websites instead of it being done globally like firefox does it.

So anyway I guess I'm switching back and forth between browsers.

Update: Oh yeah, Chrome puts a lot of processes in memory. Firefox doesn't as far as I know. That's gotta be why Chrome is so much faster. I guess that could be a problem in low powered systems with a small amount of memory. But nowadays we have powerful systems with a ton of RAM so Chrome can have all the memory it wants. No problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom