Windows 7 FLAC OR MP3 ???

casi

hello everyone i was just wondering what the difference between FLAC and MP3 files are and wicth have the best sound quality,i used to play my music with wmp 12 but was adviced to download WINAMP and flac options is that wise or what i would like oppinions of any kind(exscuse me my spelling and gramma im danish)kind regards casi.:polite:

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, which is a special coding format used for lossless audio compression. What makes FLAC distinguished from other audio formats like MP3, WAV, WMA is that it can keep the audio quality intact.

But this kind of format cannot be played on many commom devices, like iPhone, iPad, Android phone/tablet, windows phone, etc. If you want to play FLAC file on those devices, an easy way is to convert FLAC to compatible format. You can use free online converter to make it runs well on most devices.

If you want to play FLAC file on those devices, an easy way is to convert FLAC to compatible format. You can use free online converter to make it runs well on most devices.
But not using this link - it is for software which extracts audio tracks from video files! But there are plenty of packages which will convert flac to mp3 etc. In deciding whether to use flac or mp3 to store music you need to consider whether you really need the additional quality which undoubtedly is preserved by flac but which typically generates files three or four times the size of a corresponding mp3 for instance.

FLAC is almost indistinguishable from a 320Kbps encoded MP3 file. The difference, however, is that FLAC truly is loss-less. There is no difference between FLAC and an original CD copy. So if you intend on, for instance, preserving an archive of music, FLAC would be your choice. If you are just casually listening to MP3s, and not creating a library that you will one day re-encode, go with MP3. If you're going to throw out all your CD's and only listen to them on audio devices, use FLAC first. A MP3 encoded at 320Kbps is about half the size of a FLAC file. If you don't care about storage, go with FLAC. There are some examples where you CAN hear the difference between these two, but its very rare. Those differences will be more pronounced on high end audio equipment.

Objectively speaking, these two formats both have their advantages and disadvantages. FLAC consumes more storage space with high sound quality, whereas MP3 is smaller in file size, but its sound is barely satisfying.

Back