Windows 7 Flickering/Flashing notification pop-ups at random times

srirang

Hi all,

Here is a question that I posted on the MS-TechNet, but I thought I should post it here too, to get wider audience.

Any help/suggestion that you can provide will be greatly useful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 0 : Turning notifications off and on did not help. I still see these flickering notifications.

Update 1 : I see a bunch of these messages in the event log closely coinciding with the time these flickering pop-ups appeared. Level is Information.
0000003439: 2011-11-20 02:24:29:276 Exception <Killing CCC0 Process>: Process with an Id of 4288 is not running.
Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.MOM.Implementation.StateMachineToolkit.Transition::performActions processID:04192 threadID:(MOM_STM_DelegateThread) domainName:(MOM.exe ) assemblyName:(MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3670.26967, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
This is one explanation about this error : CCC.exe bug still there
===========================================================================================
Original Post follows
===========================================================================================
Hi all,
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on Dell Studio 1458. Since about 3 to 4 weeks I have been seeing flashing/flickering notification pop-ups (in the right bottom corner). A notification pop-up appears and disappears instantly within the flash of a second. I don't get to hover the mouse pointer over it to prevent it from disappearing. It happens at random times and I have not been able to link these flashes to any particular process/application.
I tried looking at the Event log, but could not find anything relevant. A very few times, the notification pop-up appears to be an error message, because I think I have seen something like a red polygon representing an error, although I cannot say it for sure (It flashes really fast). But otherwise they "seem to be" regular info messages. This doesn't happen to all notification pop-ups. There are some that appear normally, stay for a few seconds and then disappear. I can close them if need be or hover over them to make them stay when they are fading away. The flickering ones are apart from the regular ones that I have seen.
From what I remember this started happening after I did an update of my anti-virus (Avira Antivir) to version 2012. This relation is just my guess and again, I cannot say concretely. I searched on the internet and saw similar reports in a couple of places, but only one place provided something like a solution. It was to turn off all notifications and then turn them on. Based on that I set all notification are icons to "Hide icon and notification" including the time, volume and other system icons and then set them back to their previous values. I am not really confident that this will work and hence any other suggestions and a probable cause would really help. (See Update 0 above)
When I see these flash pop-ups I am generally running Firefox (latest available version) and some times VMWare player (version 4). Here is my system info. Aero is enabled. Let me know if any more information is needed :

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SRIRANG-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio 1458
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 5/12/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Srirang-PC\Admin
Time Zone India Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 973 MB
Total Virtual Memory 7.87 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.66 GB
Page File Space 3.93 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Windows updates are diligently applied and so are the updates of regularly used software applications.
Let me know if this is a well known problem and whether a solution/work-around exists for this.

Thank you
Srirang G Doddihal.

Back