Windows 8 fly-out menu strips and start menu self instigate

dcny

My fly-out menu strips and start menu self instigate even when my mouse pointer is in the middle of the window. What, if anything, can be done to adjust the sensitivity of Windows 8 menus, or could it be a problem with my laptop's pointing device?

Thanks for considering this issue.
Duane:rolleyes:

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Since you haven't mentioned what type of laptop or much at all about the physical machine other than it is a laptop......
Is it new and..... Did it come with Windows 8 pre-installed?
Many new machines with windows 8 pre-installed support "Track Pad Gestures" ... I really have no idea if yours does or not.
I might suggest at least attempting to target the issue by maybe testing with a simple USB wired mouse as an alternative and see if you have the same or any similar issues.
Regards
Randy

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Since you haven't mentioned what type of laptop or much at all about the physical machine other than it is a laptop......
Is it new and..... Did it come with Windows 8 pre-installed?
Many new machines with windows 8 pre-installed support "Track Pad Gestures" ... I really have no idea if yours does or not.
I might suggest at least attempting to target the issue by maybe testing with a simple USB wired mouse as an alternative and see if you have the same or any similar issues.
Regards
Randy
Yes, this is a fairly new lenovo ideapad with "Intelligent Touchpad" and Windows 8 pre-installed. I don't know about the "Track Pad Gestures" you spoke of, but I seem to remember not having this issue when I was using a USB mouse before losing it.

I will explore these avenues.

Thanks for your help,
Duane

With a little study and practice, these gestures become comfortable features. They provide practical functionality, once its mystical veil is removed. I like it!

I now know the cause of my frustration over these gestures. I didn't know what they were or that they even existed. For all I knew, it was some faulty pointing device driver that was going berserk. Now, after searching for help here and elsewhere, I've discovered there is an almost one inch wide area on the right edge of the Touchpad that must be avoided unless you want to access the Windows 8 menu system. Even with this knowledge, I still find it difficult to avoid this swipe gesture activation area for lack of any tactile ridge(like most "F" and "J" keys have) to define where it begins. To correct this oversight, I'm going to stick a thin strip of tape along the boarder of that activation area. Problem solved, thanks you!

Have you seen an IBM lenovo Z580 ideapad user manual? It has none. It comes with a single page diagram visually depicting features with no explanation beyond naming them. It's a good laptop, but there's no excuse for not providing a proper user manual that should have explained thoroughly all the hidden features like the Touchpad Gestures. This is a problem IBM needs to solve. They should know better, where NOT to cut corners:dread:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back