Windows 7 Folder in use

Torquemad

Honorable Member
just trying to drag some folders into C:\Program Files (x86), coming up that the folder is in use, have end'processed everything possible.

Ideas?

Actually, it seems to be the entire C drive

EDIT - however, it only seems to be with moving folders, for example .exe or .ini or text files can be moved. I have no idea what the issue is and would really appreciate getting this fixed ASAP.

Last edited:
What exactly is in the folders? If you create a "New Folder" on C:\ can you move that around?
I can make new folders and move them around yes. Just some skins for rainmeter, but it doesnt matter whats in the folders.

If its any folder and i try to move for eg documents or desktop to C drive, i get that error.

Are you able to move any folders in safe mode or do you get the same error? Also check the Ownership of the folders, maybe the permissions got changed by mistake

Perhaps a virus has somehow added the system attribute to all your folders so maybe check that to

Last edited:
Are you able to move any folders in safe mode or do you get the same error? Also check the Ownership of the folders, maybe the permissions got changed by mistake

Perhaps a virus has somehow added the system attribute to all your folders so maybe check that to

When booting up in safe mode, im having no issues moving around folders. All the sharing permissions for my C drive seem to be fine as far as i can tell.

Tried to replicate the problem but no luck
If you've tried the above and are sure that there is nothing in the folders that your system is using then im out of ideas.
I rate the your best bet is to start a thread on Link Removed - Invalid URL and get one of the Microsoft guru's to take a look

You can also right-click on the drive letter, choose properties. On the Security tab what group is listed there.

Everyone?

You can also use this registry script to Take Ownership

Copy and paste the info inside the quote into Notepad, choose Save As, then select All Files from the drop-down menu box and type in takeownership.reg. Save it to your desktop and double-click on it to merge it intro the registry. this will place Take Ownership of files and right-click context menu for complete directories.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F

Tried to replicate the problem but no luck
If you've tried the above and are sure that there is nothing in the folders that your system is using then im out of ideas.
I rate the your best bet is to start a thread on Microsoft Answers Forums and get one of the Microsoft guru's to take a look
Yeah im sure, it doesnt matter if its the folders im trying, or if i create a new empty folder on the desktop and try and move it - it just doesnt work

but i appreciate everyones help, still trying to fix the problem

Did you try the registry hack?

Did you receive any error when attempting to merge it into the registry.

Did you reboot after applying the tweak?

Yes

No
and

Yes

hah, still no different made as far as i can tell it doesnt seem to be an issue with admin rights or anything, its the fact that something is accessing the drive and causing me to not be able to move folders into it. Its got me quite stumped

Last edited:
Try right-clicking on the (x86) folder, choose properties, click the Security tab, click the edit button, select your username in the list and check the box for Full Control.

Try right-clicking on the (x86) folder, choose properties, click the Security tab, click the edit button, select your username in the list and check the box for Full Control.
The c drive has full control - however the 86x folder is greyed out and cannot be modified.

This is probably out of my league.

I do not run the 64-bit edition, but have heard that the 32-bit Windows Programs are located in this directory.

Do you have Show Hidden Files, check the box for know extensions, and show protected operating system files?

Id there a lock on the folder?

I have show hidden files and folders on.

There is no lock on the folder.btw i appricate you trying tohelp me, you seem to be the only one so far really

Back