Windows 7 Folder Size Utility gone.

Derekfoxes

Hi,

Upgraded from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro and mostly good.

Badly miss the little utility that added features to the top bar in Windows Explorer, 'Folder Size' for photos etc.

Anyone know of a replacement?

Hi Derek,
it's so long since I've used XP I can't think of the setting you mean.. Apologies for my ignorance but could you expand further?

I,m also a bit out iof date with XP. But I wonder if you mean View - Choose details? You can then select the top bar dividers (where it says Name - Date etc..) by right clicking and holding, and drag the sizes.

Hi Derek,
it's so long since I've used XP I can't think of the setting you mean.. Apologies for my ignorance but could you expand further?

Windows Explorer header bar which shows File Name. Date and Size.

Folders do not show a size so a small utility was available that had loads of extra headers that added value.

Lots of us appreciated the Folder size and for some reason MS did not bother to include the feature, presumably on the old Not invented here principle.

Understood. I sympathise, if you felt a use for the function. I have got used to looking in the properties on the seldom occasions when I need to know the size. There is no fix for it at the moment, but perhaps you could get used to using one of the various file manager alternatives around the web. I treid a few but found them all wanting.

Hi RAK,

Thanks. Nevertheless if one business did it others can too. Blagged my way into computing in 1966 on IBM 360 mainframes and still at it.

'Tepid' said on a reffered message that if tool tips are enabled in Folder Options it showes. Cannot find tools tips in Folder Options though. Maybe me pushing 80 though.

Hope your day is better than mine, hilltop village in England snowed in at the bottom of my long drive in a foot of snow. Carer for my wife with demetia but we have all we need for now.

Back
Top Bottom