Windows 7 Found -- FREE Good Virtual Desktop for W7 X-64 (and 32 bit)

jimbo45

Hi guys

One of the things I really MISS from XP is the lack of a Virtual Desktop manager -- if you have a load of applications running concurrently (on a 4/8/16GB system no reason not to have a load of concurrent applications) it's very difficult to keep track of them and the normal desktop gets horribly cluttered - especially on laptops with smaller screens.

Anyway a German guy has come up with one that more or less replicates the old XP powertoy Virtual desktop Manager. This one has some extra features (I'm not always in favour of "Extra features" when the base simplicity is allI need -- take horribly bloated NERO these days for example -- far removed from ehat it was good at --burning Data, and audio CD's / DVD's but the "extra features" don't bloat the basic functionality --switching desktops easily.

Free Dexpot Download

Cheers

jimbo

Hi there
There's no W7 7022 build for X-64 -- it's still build 7000.
The application runs fine on it.

cheers
jimbo

I had a go. I think I still prefer the MS utility - Desktop. Neater and does, for me anyway, all I need.

Hi there davehc -- what MS utility does this on Vista or W7.

I really liked the XP Deskman powertoy but this DEFINITLY doesn't work on VISTA or W7 (any version) . If you've got the MS equivalent please that works on W7 please post the link -- otherwise the utility I've described here seems to be the nearest "clone" to the original MS one.

Cheers
jimbo

Thanks Davehc

Why that couldn't have been put on a more public site I don't know.

I can't imagine these days using a Computer WITHOUT desktop switching - even on a LARGE monitor desktops can get very cluttered running loads of concurrent applications (and Virtual Machines).

Maybe some gamers etc -- only run 1 or 2 apps but I've usually got a few photos (Photoshop), some Internest sessions open, connections to various corporate SAP ERP systems, email, office spreadsheets etc all open.

Cheers
jimbo

Yes. I know what you are saying. I switch from forum to forum, when examining queries. It is more pleasant to have them open on separate desktops for cross reference

There is a very good program called Windows System Control Center pane which lists all of Sysinternals and Nirsoft utilities into a one click option.

It can be download here:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

If you download the Nirsoft Utilities, which are excellent you might get warnings from your firewall or ant-virus. However, these are false positives as the Nirsoft utilities operate at a low level of the system,.

There are links on the page for both utilities and Nirsoft continually update their programs.

If you download the Nirsoft Utilities, which are excellent you might get warnings from your firewall or ant-virus. However, these are false positives as the Nirsoft utilities operate at a low level of the system,.

There are links on the page for both utilities and Nirsoft continually update their programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for the link -- good stuff

I don't bother with AV software -- if I get a Virus or "Hacked" it's my own fault and its easy enough to "clean" computers if you have enough backups and decent "Disk Erasing" software. Actually I've never had a virus yet as I'm usuually very careful as to what finally gets loaded on to my "Real Production" machines -- I usually use a single computer for downloading stuff which gets wiped every so often anyway.

Cheers

jimbo

hmm, i like it, but... 16gig's will never be enough for windows7 or windows vista since there are that stupid winsxs folder function...

what else... that IMPORTANT - cut it out or put another something there, because it is impossible to install any software without agreeing the license therms

Back
Top Bottom