Windows 7 Frequent BSOD on new custom system

shukenten

Hi all, I hope you can help me. I recently got a new system which my friend and myself built. Things were ok for about 24 hours until the dreaded BSOD reared its ugly head. Thought it might be bad graphics drivers at first, so I uninstalled the NVidea drivers (for the GTX 750 ti) and also removed one of the two memory sticks and just used one to see if it was a memory issue. Spent all last night wastching things fine. Today i swapped out the stick for another one and it BSOD, although this might be as coincidence seeing as my memory is pretty darn new and was working flawlessly in my old system . All help will be much appreciated as I spent a fair bit of money on this new setup :) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Gah, trying to add the attachments for my screenshots etc but having trouble, will try again. Sorry if this is a bit messy. Feel free to edit/delete as you see fit.

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000096, fffff80002ee9118, fffff8800433dfd0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KeReleaseSemaphore+28 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
both dump files were of the same type and this can at times point to a hardware error although personally I feel it could down to a bios update.
BiosVersion = F4
BiosReleaseDate = 05/16/2013
Update your bios although do ensure I have the correct motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4519#bios

Use Gigabytes application, '@Bios', to update your bios. Download the correct bios and then use the app to update. Gigabyte has a dual bios system which means if an error does occur, the bios has a backup.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4519#utility

If the bsod continues after the update and after what you said about your RAM above then you might well have your culprit right there.. It's entirely possible to purchase faulty RAM. Have you checked RAM settings, voltages and compatibility?
Check your RAM using this application:
http://www.memtest.org/

Run for at least a few passes.
Post any new dump files.

Thanks for your speedy reply Kemical, its much appreciated :) I will try the above and let you know of my progress asap (at work most of the day during the week)

Ok, I have so far installed the AppCentre and used the included @bios to update to most current BIOS.. So far so good. I have heard that memtest can take quite a while, so I will leave it overnight to do its thing. Would you recommend me leaving one stick in at a time, or just putting both sticks in? (I have 2 x 4GB sticks, using just one at the minute for troubleshooting purposes). Thanks again.

Hi,
to be honest I'd only test if you get a bsod after the bios update but in answer to your question: It's more desirable to test the sticks individually but both at the same time won't hurt any.

I just got home tonight and switched on the pc. Logged into Steam, watched a trailer for a game and straight after I got BSOD. Will try memtest asap and let you know.

Ok I ran Mem Test for each stick individually, and did 3 runs for each. No errors were found and no new dump files were created in C:\Windows\Minidump. The last dump file was from the 1st. Kind of stumped now. I hear one possibility is that my PSU is causing issues. It is rather old (a good 3 years). I have just bought a new 600w Corsair one which will arrive tomorrow, so am probably going to do a completely fresh install again using new PSU.
I do have the Blue Screen Viewer application if that helps anyone, but Im unsure how to use it effectively.

One other thing that might be interesting to note: the BSOD only seems to appear when I am doing something other than using the net for posting on here. First time it happened I was playing a game, and the other times it was when watching YouTube, using Steam or watching a series online. May be coincidence. Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: My friend told me to unplug any usb devices I wasnt using, such as my mic and usb hub, and also to remove my GCard (which is now sitting forlornly in my cupboard). I also uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Update: Moments after the posting the above, the screen went black and the PC restarted itself. No blue screen this time :/
One other thing is that for about 20 seconds after Windows launches, it doesnt read my mouse or keyboard (cant move my cursor and none of the lights on mouse/keyboard show up) which I have never seen before. Unsure as to whether or not this is related.
Hope you dont mind my posting so often, just thought you would like regular updates.

Hi,
no please do update as much as possible as any information is always helpful. Check windows isn't corrupted. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If your using an SSD check for firmware updates. If you have a SATA drive check the sectors are ok by running a chkdsk:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

If you think it's GPU related try stressing the GPU with a benchmark. If it bsod's then you know it's either the PSU, driver or card. Try this app for testing:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Hi Kemical.
Did the sfc scan, no errors reported. Updated my SSD's firmware and did chkdsk. Got a blue screen again :(
Currently waiting for my PSU to arrive (should have arrived today but hasnt yet!)
Will rebuild with new PSU when it comes and let you know the results. Off for 2 days now so have plenty of time to tinker.

Hey,
don't forget you can also send in the dump files too as i'd like to see them anyway. Good luck with the install.. :)

My PSU didnt arrive today (and probably wont till monday) so the new install will have to wait. In the meantime I got another crash. This time the screen went black, the computer restarted and instead of a blue screen there was a red one, with some vertical coloured lines along the left side D: Will include all the crash dumps I was able to gather.

I will also include some events from Event Viewer from around the time of the crash...

1: Warning: Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

2: Error: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
UsbCharger

3: Warning: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V
Network link is disconnected.

4: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000096, 0xfffff800036c9c38, 0xfffff88002b63dd0, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 040514-4180-01.

Attachments

• WER-5350-0.sysdata.zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 040514-4180-01.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 194
  • New Text Document.zip
    358 bytes · Views: 226
And thanks for your continued support so far. I really dont get why this is happening. This is a new system (aside from PSU) and as far as we can tell all the hardware is 100% compatible. Never had problems like this in the past with other rigs :(

Also I have another memory dump but it is 80 odd mb even after compression and wont let me post. Any idea how I can get it to you?

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000096, fffff800036c9c38, fffff88002b63dd0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiInsertQueue+38 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
as you can see in the brackets is an error 0xc0000096 this means that some damaged software is causing the crash (probably). It may help if you try a system restore or using F8 whilst booting and the 'last good known config' setting.

AppleCharger.sys Tue Feb 19 04:17:09 2013: GIGABYTE On/Off Charge driver. This has be known to cause BSOD's on some win7/8 systems please uninstall to test.

Run the Intel driver update utility please:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Just going back to what you wrote earlier:
Updated my SSD's firmware and did chkdsk. Got a blue screen again :(
Did the BSOD happen when you did the chkdsk?

Re' the other dump file, can you upload it to dropbox or something like that?

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for not posting. I thought Id leave it running for a few days and.... no blue screens for the last 48 hours or so!

So, I did all of the above prior to installing the new psu and still the problem remained (It let me do the chkdsk and BSOD'd later on)

When my new PSU finally arrived we installed it and initially had some boot errors, so after some tinkering and resetting the BIOS using the little bridge thing on the motherboard (technical terms, I know) we got into Windows. We ran 3D Mark successfully but shortly after it BSOD. As a final effort my friend went into BIOS to check power settings. The MOBO was set to several weird power saving modes which seemed completely unnecessary (which ones exactly Im unsure as Id left the room to make tea/cry) but my friend had had a EUREKA moment when I came back and said he had changed it all to run at the highest power settings. Since then, no BSOD (about 3 days ago).
He said that he'd read on forums about new boards and BIOS power settings causing horrible issues like mine.

Hopefully this will be the end of it now. I have been running games, playing videos etc without any issues whatsoever now.

Ill keep my fingers crossed and update you in a few days if everything is still ok.
Thanks a million, Kemical, for your assistance in this :)

That's excellent news! Much thanks for updating too as it always helps to know where the issue lay and what the solution was.

Back