TjTristan12

Hey guys so I have Windows 10, and up until about two weeks ago my laptop was running just fine. The desktop will freeze and so will the taskbar on the bottom, I cant click on anything with the mouse. But I can use the windows key and windows key+x and use the arrow keys to navigate around. I just had to use the tab key and arrow keys to sign up for an account here and to navigate this website, its difficult and getting annoying. Rarely will restarting Windows Explorer in the task manager will fix the problem but it comes right back within minutes. I have done a factory reset twice. The first time I had windows update to the most recent update, and still had the issue. The second time I stopped any updating and still had the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hi TJ,
try running these scans as they might repair any corruption that's crept into the system:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Check the Event logs and see if anything coincides with the freezes..

Run s a scan of Malwarebytes

If you installed anything new...
I would look at the wait chain if you can for explorer.exe. You should be able to get to task manager with ctrl + shift + esc once in task manager go to the details tab and right click explorer.exe and "analyse wait chain" Wait Chain Traversal (Windows)

Boot into safe mode and see if your system exhibits the same behavior. If it doesn't it's probably an issue with a 3rd party application or driver. Did you install anything around the time the issue started happening?

I'll try that right now, and no, the only thing that got installed was a windows update, and an update for a game on steam.

If you are experiencing system freezes or crashes, you might need to repair your file system. run this command: chkdsk /F c: in the Windows PowerShell as an Administrator. Allow the system to reboot. (do not force a dismount)

Sent from my NX549J using Tapatalk

Hi TJ,
try running these scans as they might repair any corruption that's crept into the system:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Check the Event logs and see if anything coincides with the freezes..

Run s a scan of Malwarebytes

If you installed anything new recently be it either driver or application, please remove and if it makes a difference.

Solution
I had a desktop act pretty much same way recently with windows 10. Turned out my hard drive was failing. Even running chkdsk and sfc would say no errors. Would do a clean install would freeze up every so often for a few seconds then go back to normal over and over again. Would do this before and after downloading updates for my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Windows Forums mobile app

If your laptop didn't come with W10 on it brand new from the factory and you upgraded from an earlier version of Windows such as W7 or W8/W8.1, it could be as old as 8 YEARS OLD, and the fact that Hard Drives in modern laptops (2009 and later) are only designed to last 2 years, or about the time an Extended Warranty would run out! :eek: That means if you do have an older laptop that you upgraded to W10, it's HIGHLY LIKELY that your Hard Drive is failing or has failed,o_O; ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE NEVER REPLACE THE HARD DRIVE SINCE YOU'VE OWNED THE LAPTOP!! and you need to find out by testing your Hardware. I'll provide you with a link to do so below.

If this is the case, take a look at my excellent TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE I wrote available here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
It's quite lengthy, 6-8 pages, so I recommend you print it out and keep the hardcopy in front of you while you are testing your computer. Have patience and realize this process can take from 2 days to 1 week. If this is to much work for you or you cannot wrap your head around it; simply take it to a licensed Computer Pro in your area at a retail computer chain such as Best Buy Geek Squad or Micro Center and pay a Tech to do for you. Should you decide to do this, consider asking the Tech for a written estimate to replace the drive and reinstall your W10, factory-supplied programs, and move your data over to the newly installed drive. This will cost anywhere between $45-$135 US; of course more if you have the Tech come to your home to do it; GeeK Squad's charge where I live (a remote area) is about $200 US in addition to the estimate of the repair, both parts (new Hard Drive) and labor.

If you decide to DIY this; you have help here. Post back any questions you have if you get stuck; we are here 24x7x365.

This probably doesn't need saying, but I'll say it anyway: Make sure to BACKUP ALL PERSONAL DATA FROM THIS COMPUTER PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING FURTHER HARDWARE TESTING OR SOFTWARE REPAIRS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!

Hope this information proves useful to you.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :teeth: :usa:

In any case, if you still have issues then of course please post back and we'll try and advise you for the best.

Back