Windows 7 Getting rid of "extra" sound driver in Win7 x64

maiaibing

Have a problem with the SoundMax FX-II sound riser card on my ASUS Formula Rampage Mother Board.

The problem is that there are two drivers and that is creating some kind of conflict so that I either can have sound from the front headphones OR from the rear speaker phone - but not both.

What is really, really anoying is that right after I installed Win7 x64 (clean install) it all worked as it should. Suddenly the "extra" sound driver got installed, and the problem has been with me since.:(

Have tried to uninstall the one and the other or them both +deleting the sound device altogether. No matter what I do Win7 always comes back and installs two drivers (or just the one if I let the other stay). Is there any way I can make sure that Win7 will only assign one sound driver?:confused:

Its the same standard MS Win7 sound driver that gets installed always. Using the SoundMax drivers makes no difference.

Do you have a PCI sound card as well as onboard audio>

Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, expand the Components section and choose the Sound Device Post back with that information.

Could you please enter your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left side of the page.

This will greatly help us in diagnosing your problem.

Have a problem with the SoundMax FX-II sound riser card on my ASUS Formula Rampage Mother Board.

The problem is that there are two drivers and that is creating some kind of conflict so that I either can have sound from the front headphones OR from the rear speaker phone - but not both.

What is really, really anoying is that right after I installed Win7 x64 (clean install) it all worked as it should. Suddenly the "extra" sound driver got installed, and the problem has been with me since.:(

Have tried to uninstall the one and the other or them both +deleting the sound device altogether. No matter what I do Win7 always comes back and installs two drivers (or just the one if I let the other stay). Is there any way I can make sure that Win7 will only assign one sound driver?:confused:

Its the same standard MS Win7 sound driver that gets installed always. Using the SoundMax drivers makes no difference.
Go to Device Manager and identify the drivers that are being used by your sound device (properties/drivers/driver details). Then go to C:\windows\system32\drivers and try renaming a few of the drivers (trial and error). If the drivers aren't available, you should be able to uninstall and reinstall the sound device with just the drivers you need.

Are these your driver specs:

SupremeFX X-Fi Audio Card
- ADI® AD2000B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- EAX® Advanced™ HD 4.0
- X-Fi CMSS®-3D
- X-Fi Crystalizerâ„¢
- Creative ALchemy

I'd go to Creative Worldwide Support > X-Fi to try to locate your exact model

Do you have a PCI sound card as well as onboard audio>

(...) Could you please enter your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left side of the page.

This will greatly help us in diagnosing your problem.

Thank you for looking at this issue :cool: - here is the msinfo feedback:

Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1001\5&2FB8129&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 342,00 KB (350.208 bytes), 14-07-2009 09:07)

Name USB Audio Device
Manufacturer (Generic USB Audio)
Status OK
PNP Device ID USB\VID_08BB&PID_2704&MI_00\7&30190BC9&0&0000
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 107,00 KB (109.568 bytes), 14-07-2009 09:06)

Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B&SUBSYS_1043829C&REV_1004\4&B3DDC6A&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 342,00 KB (350.208 bytes), 14-07-2009 09:07)

I put in my specs on my profile - is that where you wanted it?

Last edited:
Back