GPU stays on low clock after applying water cooling .

Lev Leon

i just added to my 970 EVGA ftw , an adaptor for a water cooling , kraken g10 , then i've added h105 corsair cooler on it . i had to remove the original fans from the card , which means - disconnect them from their nest on the board . the water cooler is connected to the mother board . on evga tool for overclocking , i cannot overclock it because it shows something around 300 mhz when fully stressed .
the manual doesnt say that the radiator fans should be connected to the video card connector . but i've seen some videos that tells to get an adapter for 4 pin GPU jack to 4 pin fan jack.
so do i have to connect radiator fans directly to the card so it can work in full power or is this a different issue ?

Hi Lev,
I should imagine that you need to attach the radiator fans to the gpu in order that they can be controlled by the gpu's temperature and not the CPU's temp. That's probably why it won't go any higher than 300mhz as it thinks a fan isn't fitted. Fans on cards like this don't even spin until your gpu is over 60c so it's fine for the moment but yes try attaching the fans.

thanks for the reply .
yeah i guess so , currently theyre attached to chassis fan sockets on the MB , not CPU ( cpu is also watercooled with its own close system)
but this is so stupid because nowhere in the manual was mentioned anything about it .

I looked at several videos and they didn't mention anything about this either. I've just been looking again but nothing seems to show where the connector goes for sure. In my searches though I came across this owners thread so it might be worth asking in this dedicated section?
[Official] NZXT Kraken G10 Owner's Club

just got the cable to power 2 radiator fans out of the gpu connector . still the same issue . wont go further 300 mhz . i assume that the pump that is attached to the gpu it self should be connected somewhere that is not "fan1, fan2 , fan3 " ??? but what should i do if 1 cpu input already taken by the cpu water cooling ?

Do you have a fan header elsewhere on the board? My motherboard has two CPU headers specifically for this kind of thing but if you look around the board you should see another fan header. It might only be a 3pin but it should still fit.

I'm surprised you didn't try the dedicated forum I posted above?

kemical i want to tank you for fast replies and help! i just seen that i also have 2 cpu inputs , which wasnt that clear because cpu tag is only on one of them . now everything runs fine and my temps not even near 40 c on max stress ! thank YOU !

Back