Windows 10 GPU won't detect on BIOS - second GPU won't set up third monitor - NVIDIA GTX 680 and 760

GeneralHiningII

Fantastic Member
This afternoon my GTX 760 decided to hang itself for whatever reason. I did a bit of trouble shooting - clearing CMOS, un-reinstalling drivers, replacing it with another card (the 680), putting it in another PC, etc. and it doesn't seem to work. Specifically, BIOS won't detect it.

Specs: MSI TF II GTX 760 and MSI TF II GTX 680, motherboard is an MSI Z87-G45.

So I decided to replace it with the other graphics card, the 680. It's working fine now, except it isn't recognising my third monitor. I'm using the DVI-D, DVI-I, and HDMI ports of the 680 - the HDMI and DVI-I work, but the DVI-D monitor won't recognise. The monitor itself says that there is no signal coming from the computer.

The monitors are Dell E2310H and E2311H, and an HP ZR2240w. All three worked on the 760 before it died, but only the 11H Dell and HP monitor are working on the 680.

Which of your 3 monitors is the Primary? Is it the Dell E2310H? If so, remove that monitor from the 680 card, and make the other Dell or the HP monitor the Primary and get it working with 2 monitors. Once that works, try the Dell E2310H as the 3rd monitor and see if that works? If it does, that 680 card may have some driver incompatibility with the Dell E2310H monitor. Did you download the latest driver from Dell for the Dell E2310H monitor?

Also, you might try the Dell E2310H on another desktop PC or laptop that you know works properly with an external monitor. Does that monitor work properly an another computer? If it does, you could be looking at driver problems with the 680 card.

If the Dell E2310H monitor fails to work as an external monitor on another computer for testing purposes, that monitor has developed a coincidental failure and needs to be replaced!:waah:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

@ BIGBEARJEDI

It's not the monitor problem so much as the port problem - if I put the 11H on the DVI-D port and the 10H in the DVI-I port, the 10H becomes my primary monitor but the 11H won't respond, and vice versa. My drivers should be up to date, and they were working with my 760 before it died so I don't really see a reason as to why it wouldn't work with the 680.

@kemical

DDU didn't work - BIOS didn't recognise the card, so if I had the card plugged in to my motherboard at all it would force me to run the monitor off it and not through the integrated Intel graphics. Because of this, if the card was plugged in I can't even boot to safe mode to run DDU, as the monitor sim

DDU didn't work - BIOS didn't recognise the card, so if I had the card plugged in to my motherboard at all it would force me to run the monitor off it and not through the integrated Intel graphics. Because of this, if the card was plugged in I can't even boot to safe mode to run DDU, as the monitor sim

If your running in UEFI mode then try changing to legacy and see if it makes a difference?

Another way to test the 680 is to pop it into another machine, maybe a friends? If it still does the same then you know it's borked.

Don't have a spare machine to test 3 monitors on. However, I'm fairly certain the port itself is gone, as any monitor plugged into it won't work. Probably another card worth an RMA?

Don't have a spare machine to test 3 monitors on. However, I'm fairly certain the port itself is gone, as any monitor plugged into it won't work. Probably another card worth an RMA?
>>>Hi General; I think you missed our point. In all the posts and responses you gave us the 11H monitor has not been tested in an isolated environment.:ohno: In Post #11 you say you don't have another computer to test all 3 monitors in; we're not asking you to test all 3. We're following the KISS principle of troubleshooting (Keep It Stupid Simple). You simply need to test only the 1 monitor that's not working in your configuration in a standalone environment. A desktop PC with only the 11H connected would be an ideal test; a laptop with the 11H as an external VGA/HDMI/DMI would be the next best test. And, I'm certain that you could take that 11H into your local computer store and ask them to test the monitor for you on one of their test machines on their repair bench. This would cost about $20 US in most stores here. How do I know? I used to do this back when I only had 1 computer at home (decades ago). This is for situations where you don't have a friend, family-member, or co-worker that will allow you to hook up your Monitor because since you think it's bad, they might think it might blow up their computer, know what I mean?:nerves:

Bear in mind that if you tried my solution of making the 11H monitor the ONLY monitor on your existing PC, and it doesn't work as a standalone Primary display monitor, then that monitor is most likely borked and it just needs to be replaced.:waah: You didn't mention whether you tried the 11H as the Primary display when using the GTX 760 either (unless I missed that). If that 11H monitor cannot function as a Primary display for your other card (GTX 760), nor as the Primary display on another PC, it's probably borked. :waah:

Test that 11H monitor properly and we can advise you further on what else to try.

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:

<<<BBJ>>>

That's exactly what I've done though. I've tried each individual monitor on the 680, and they all work fine, but when I use all three together, the monitor running off the second DVI port doesn't work. So it's definitely not a monitor issue, unless I'm still overlooking something.

Ok, thanks for getting back on that answer, General.

Reiterating from Bochane's post #12, can you try the 680 card on another desktop PC? Perhaps a friend or local computer shop? You might need to pay them some $$, and you'll want to bring all 3 of your monitors along with your 680 card to see if your problem follows over to the 2nd computer. If it does, that 680 card might be gone.:waah:

I'm not familiar with this card. If you've had the 680 less than 1 yr. you might be able to return it to your place of purchase for a replacement or refund?;)

<<<BBJ>>>

Update for posterity, in case this thread is found by someone else - I have no clue what caused the problem, nor did MSI. The card was returned and I got a refund, which means that it's definitely the card's problem. I've given up on the 680 and am currently using 2 monitors.

It could also be that you're trying to sli 2 different models of video cards with different spec's. Try 2 of the same model video cards.
My 2 MSI GTX 760's work fine together. They're the same exact models, though and I'm only using one monitor.
The 680 and the 760 together is probably the problem, especially with all the issues with the Windows 10 Anniversary update's various issues.

Back