Windows 7 GTA IV and HL2:DM Shutting Down Computer

RingAnimated

...it will just shut it down. I think it is my power supply as it often get very hot and along with that...Coolmax, off-brand company I believe. I also have 2 monitors. I have GTA IV set to medium settings and with Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, probably full settings. Also GTA IV's graphics glitch up quite often.

With GTA, my GPU gets around 70C, and my CPU around 60C I think.

Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1)
ASRock N68C-GS FX (w/ latest BIOS)
NVIDIA GeForce 550 Ti 1GB
AMD Athlon II x4 630
2 HDD's (one 500GB and one 1TB)
8 GB Samsung (I think) RAM
600W Coolmax Modular Power Supply.

And this probably isn't all the info needed...I would have to check later.

Reposted here as I think now it will fit better in here.

...it will just shut it down. I think it is my power supply as it often get very hot and along with that...Coolmax, off-brand company I believe. I also have 2 monitors. I have GTA IV set to medium settings and with Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, probably full settings. Also GTA IV's graphics glitch up quite often.

With GTA, my GPU gets around 70C, and my CPU around 60C I think. Also my HD0 is almost always (not only just in games) running at 50-51 degrees Celsius, which I am pretty sure is too hot.

Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1)
ASRock N68C-GS FX (w/ latest BIOS)
NVIDIA GeForce 550 Ti 1GB
AMD Athlon II x4 630
2 HDD's (one 500GB and one 1TB)
8 GB Samsung (I think) RAM
600W Coolmax Modular Power Supply.

And this probably isn't all the info needed...I would have to check later.

Hey,
sorry your post got missed..
Try stress testing your GPU using Furmark. If it shuts down whilst running the test then your GPU or PSU could be at fault but to be honest it could be one of many things. I guess this is just as good as anywhere to start:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Your system does sound a tad warm. Have you tried running the system with the side panel removed and seeing if the issue is still present? If it isn't then chances are it is heat related.

I've also merged your threads.

Last edited:
Hey,
sorry your post got missed..
Try stress testing your GPU using Furmark. If it shuts down whilst running the test then your GPU or PSU could be at fault but to be honest it could be one of many things. I guess this is just as good as anywhere to start:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Your system does sound a tad warm. Have you tried running the system with the side panel removed and seeing if the issue is still present? If it isn't then chances are it is heat related.

I've also merged your threads.

Thanks. Results in the picture below. I don't know if I ran it high enough or long enough though. The usual settings I run games at is at least 30 FPS and at 1600x900. And I am wondering if I should try installing a case fan (which my system doesn't have.)

(the reason I haven't done that yet is because of the possibility of a bad PSU...meaning the fan could really mess it up.)

Attachments

• furmarkresult.png
    furmarkresult.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 487
The results don't look too bad actually. I know 86c sounds high but these chips, gpu wise, are quite happy at that temp.(Also Furmark really does raise the temps so I wouldn't expect to see that temp during gaming) System case fans are a good idea and don't usually add a great deal to the overall wattage. You can even run the fans at whats called the 7volt mod like I've done which stops them running at 12v and keeps the fan noise down a little. If you post the details on which case you have I could advise you further on what fan orientation might work best.

The results don't look too bad actually. I know 86c sounds high but these chips, gpu wise, are quite happy at that temp.(Also Furmark really does raise the temps so I wouldn't expect to see that temp during gaming) System case fans are a good idea and don't usually add a great deal to the overall wattage. You can even run the fans at whats called the 7volt mod like I've done which stops them running at 12v and keeps the fan noise down a little. If you post the details on which case you have I could advise you further on what fan orientation might work best.

I got this case quite some time ago. But I might try the fan thing. Would it be possible to set the fan to a lower voltage through SpeedFan? And also I only ran FurMark for 60,000 Milliseconds so it didn't really get a lot of time to get any hotter. I am pretty sure much longer though it would have. I've played GTA IV a few times now without this happening. I might try Half Life 2 Deathmatch later. My PSU did this when I first got it also...and then it just randomly stopped.

I didn't realise you had ran the test for such a short time.. I did a little research via Google and found this rather interesting review:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review/10
It mentions that using furmark isn't perhaps best for this GPU and you may want to try and replicate their results using the benchmark specified as the card they used only reached 52c. Now every system is different but if your doing ok temp wise then you should see a temp that's either the same or within a few degrees. If it's still high then you know it could down to a heating issue:
3Dmark06
http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/legacy

Speedfan does use voltage to modulate the fan speed but thats only if the fans are connected to whats called a PWM header and they differ from usual fan connectors as they have 3 to 4 prongs. Normally a motherboard carries a couple (one is needed for the CPU fan for example) and sometimes you'll find another near where the Northbridge once sat.

I didn't realise you had ran the test for such a short time.. I did a little research via Google and found this rather interesting review:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review/10
It mentions that using furmark isn't perhaps best for this GPU and you may want to try and replicate their results using the benchmark specified as the card they used only reached 52c. Now every system is different but if your doing ok temp wise then you should see a temp that's either the same or within a few degrees. If it's still high then you know it could down to a heating issue:
3Dmark06
http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/legacy

Speedfan does use voltage to modulate the fan speed but thats only if the fans are connected to whats called a PWM header and they differ from usual fan connectors as they have 3 to 4 prongs. Normally a motherboard carries a couple (one is needed for the CPU fan for example) and sometimes you'll find another near where the Northbridge once sat.

Well...at idle, my GPU is usually over 30C (CPU usually over or around 40C...CoreTemps in the 30C's.)...so heat might be the problem. Also GTA IV takes it up to 70C often also. Haven't checked the temps yet with HL2DM or Portal 2 yet.

It would probably help a bit if I got some actual computer duster so I could get those hard to reach areas...

It would probably help a bit if I got some actual computer duster so I could get those hard to reach areas...
Compressed air in a aerosol can will help you with tight corners and can usually be obtained at Office supply outlets. Personally I strip my pc down, not all the way but just remove the GPU and sometimes heatsink too depending on how bad the build up has become and where I need access to. I do this every six months or so and keeps everything ticking over nicely. (I run an overclocked system so take a bit of extra care in monitoring temps and keeping the system cool.)

Well...now the last time this happened was when it was idling...

And sorry for replying in an old thread....

Hey,
sorry I didn't answer sooner. The only other thing to test is your chip as this can do the same thing. Try running Prime95 and see if the machine holds up:
http://www.mersenne.org/download/
Start the app up and click just stress testing with small FFTs. Monitor your temps too..

Back