Windows 7 Halo 2 Installer - Missing dwmapi ordinal

The MAZZTer

Anyone have any luck getting Halo 2 to work? I get the following error when I try to install it on 32-bit Windows 7:

The ordinal 125 could not be located in the dynamic link library dwmapi.dll.

Looks like someone coded with the assumption that the DWM API DLL would not change AT ALL between Vista and future versions of Windows.

Any ideas?

<rant> Sometimes I don't understand how Microsoft* can have paid programmers put out products with such problems and Linux comes along coded by people who aren't being paid, and I have far fewer problems with it (and open source software in general). </rant>

* - Yeah I know it's Bungie, but I have a feeling it's not the Bungie guys who woke up one day and said "Hey, let's make the PC port not work on XP!" which caused game sales to be quite poor for a Halo game, as I understand it.

[Edit : Ack I think I got it, whichever genius made the Halo 2 XP hack (which I use) made it put the files in the Halo 2 game directory, including a hacked dwmapi.dll. That's probably causing the error. Dunno why I didn't notice it before.]

Last edited:
Hello

I have the same problem with Halo 2, also I have 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and when I try to install the game it does not leave me the installer initiates and appears an alert that says:

"The ordinal 125 could not be located in the dynamic link library dwmapi.dll."

Please help me!!! I do not understand what you did...

As I said in an edit above (apparently)... I accidentally was using portions of the Halo for Windows XP hack in Windows 7. Make sure to move all files it installs to a different directory before trying to run Halo 2 under Vista/7, if you were using the hack.

dwmap.dll is there the run for halo2 saya dwmap.dll. is not there just rename it to dwmap.dll. then you are done. but if your runner says oridinal 126 not 125 that means there is a file you put in there so that means it is still the same as 125 so don't worry about it

As I said in an edit above (apparently)... I accidentally was using portions of the Halo for Windows XP hack in Windows 7. Make sure to move all files it installs to a different directory before trying to run Halo 2 under Vista/7, if you were using the hack.
Sorry mate, i really just cant get what you did. by default all files are installed in program files\ Microsoft games\ Halo 2 right? tried moving the entire folder to just about every location & same prob. clearly I'm missing it when it comes to that one file. not exactly too gifted when it comes to these thing so a bit of detail would be much appreciated. Seems in all of google, you're the only one who seems to have it working.

Look in your Halo 2 directory, you may find a file called "dwmapi.dll", and try renaming this to "dwmap.dll" (remove the 'i' stuck on at the end).

Back