Windows 7 Hanging on desktop upon startup

Sueisfine

Hey there.

Been running Windows 7 RC x64 for around a week now and so far it's been working great.

But today when I started the pc the OS booted normally but when it got to the desktop it hanged. I could move the mouse around but the cursor was the standard "spinning circle" when it was over the taskbar and everywhere else it was the normal white arrow. I couldn't click the Start button nor anywhere (right-click included).

Also the usual stuff that runs at startup like COMODO Firewall and Avast! that I use didn't start either because I could not see any of the usual icons in the notification area of the taskbar (only the clock was showing).

I waited for some good 10 minutes but nothing happened and had to press the reset button on the pc case for it to reboot. It rebooted, got the notice saying Windows did not ended normally and tried to start Windows normally. Same thing, it froze at the desktop the same way. I then tried to reboot in Safe Mode and I could got in Windows ok that way. After that rebooted again in normal mode and this time Windows started normally again like nothing had happened :confused:

I just wanted to ask if anyone else experienced this situation? Searched the web but didn't find any specific answers for this. You guys think it can be COMODO causing it, since it seems to be always the first startup app windows 7 runs (im running CIS 3.9 x64)?

I also went to the Event Viewer and managed to track down the time when the situation above happened the first time to me and I found out that a specific error started to occur at a given moment and got repeatedly logged every 1 minute until I did the hard reset on the pc. The error message is:
"A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the eventlog service."

Any thoughts on this?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Hmmm, seems it really may be COMODO... and seems they may have already fixed it according to this:

https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackc...et_security_3995478509_released-t39202.0.html

Quote: "509 addresses system freezes and BSODs some users may be experiencing. You do not need to reinstall anything. Automatic update will do this simple update for you."

Hope this solves my situation *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom