Windows 7 Hard drive load maxed out for about 2 minutes after boot - no applications launch etc.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Everytime I start Windows, for almost 2 minutes after login, the hard drive read-writes are completed maxed out. MSE and what not starts before then, but Messenger, browsers etc can't be started until the load drops off some. I've attached my bootlog and system info, as requested by TorrentG. You all know I'm quite savvy and can try pretty muchly anything to keep solve the problem. I've already tried all the obvious things - disabling start-up programs and services (essentially to the barebone point) and even went through the paiun of disabling hundred of individual DLL's and executables using Autoruns.

TIA for any help :)
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Attachments

• Sytem Info.zip
    66.6 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
What software do you have that automatically checks for updates on boot up? On mine Avast and Comodo both do and Comodo holds things from connecting first. Do you have any automatic back up set up? The Smartware that came with my WD external drive maxed out my ram on start up and I've got 8 G.
Joe

There's the attachment - nothing runs at startup other than MSE and Messenger (and a few other things like Launch Manager for touch buttons).

Anyway, there's the attachment in the OP.

Nothing updates at startup, that is for sure.

when trying to open the attachment it's asking us to save it first before we can look at it. I don't need to save it just look at it. I have seen this with most of your attachments as well. I'm not sure as to how to fix the attachment problem your having or if your aware of it.

Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet driver is from June 10, 2009 which is before Windows 7 RTM was even created.

You can update this from here - Broadcom BCM5784 Network Driver Version 12.2.1.1

--------------

Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter driver has an update to apply - Atheros HB93 and HB95 Wireless Network Driver Version 8.0.0.171

--------------

Alps touchpad driver can use an update - http://support.gateway.com/support/...ver Version 7.5.2015.1103 and 7.105.2015.1103

-------------

Update for the Conexant modem drivers:

Conexant Modem Driver Version 7.80.4.56

-----------

Update for the card reader drivers:

Realtek Media Reader Driver Version 6.1.7600.30104

-----------

When done with all that, I'd use something like O&O Defrag on the hard drive, after cleaning its files and registry with Ccleaner.

Didn't think to update drivers.

disk is defragged at 12 am every sunday using defraggler, and I try to run CCLeaner at least once a week.

Updated all the drivers, Still no success.

Last edited:
Was this a recent problem or has it been going on for some time? How about a system restore?

Hey Mitchell. I was looking online about your particular model. There might be variants of it, but for the most part, it seems to be high low-end spec machine about in the $400 US price range.

Perhaps it is normal for that machine to take about a good 2 minutes to boot to working desktop. I would tend to think so since your troubleshooting steps and updating drivers combined did not seem to help much at all.

My father has a netbook which I setup completely myself on a formatted hard drive. There's no bloatware or anything like that. It's has all my personal speed tweaks etc..

It still takes a little over 2 full minutes to get to a working desktop from a cold boot state.

Hope this helps somewhat.

----

Another idea I just had is that you could install ProcessMonitor and put a shortcut to it in the startup folder. Upon a reboot, you can use to to see what exactly is using the hdd i/o to such a high extent. Let us know what you find and we'll see if it's normal or not, and if there's something that could be done about it.

Last edited:
Even from a reboot state running at about 50 degress ~ it still takes a long time to fully load. My specific model was $600 CAD.

I ran extensive HDD tests, surface and full, so it's definitely not my hard drive.

When i run that program at startup, do I need to save the log or something and add it as an attachment?

**EDIT**

My netbook, with essentially the same software setup, boots and is ready to go in 48 seconds average, so I won't take no for an answer :p

Last edited:
No guarantees this is going to be of much help, but it actually might be. Open an elevated command prompt and run this command from it:

chkdsk /r

It will take some time so start the command, follow the simple instructions about rebooting and then let it be until completion. Probably best to do before you go to sleep or something.

Have run disk check several times, really no help.
I'm swapping this HDD for an SSD soon, in hopes that will fix the problem.

Yeah, that definitely will.

I still recommend trying O&O on the drive to defragment it. A "space" type of defragmentation would do well. It has excellent algorithms that may make a nice difference in the time it takes for Windows to access all the files it needs while booting.

The software is extremely smart to know what would be best and does this.

Here's a free trial:

O&O Software - O&O Defrag 12 Pro

You'll gain best results by doing an offline type of defrag too. This will defrag the files it can't touch in Windows, which is a very important process for speed.

----

If you use it, I would disable the Windows Defrag service and the service(s) of the other defrag software you have installed.

I have an older Dell laptop that does the same thing when MSE is installed. My other machines work OK with MSE.
Uninstall MSE and see if that is the problem. On the laptop I use Avast and Malwarebytes and all is good.

I uninstalled.. just a slight difference that was to be expected.
I think it's some sort of hardware conflict.

I have an older Dell laptop that does the same thing when MSE is installed. My other machines work OK with MSE.
Uninstall MSE and see if that is the problem. On the laptop I use Avast and Malwarebytes and all is good.

Actually, after uninstalling again I think I've noticed a significant difference. Will try from cold boot soon..

**EDIT**

Think this is pretty much busted, time to switch to a different AV. Shame, as Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom