Windows 7 Hard Drive Performance

dhuhtala

Just wondering what other machines are like for hard drive performance. I have two machines, one running a Seagate 320 GB 7200 RPM drive, the other with a Seagate 500, 7200 RPM drive. The performance index shows them as 2.9 and 3.0, respectively. In Vista, they were both 5.7 and 5.9, respectively.

I'm wondering if this is related to chipset driver optimization...something else...any thoughts?

Yeah same here

I have a seagate momentous something like that. 5400 rpm 3.0gbs and it scored a 4.5 nothing to impressive but now i get a three. Im installing the new ide driver from NVIDIA now ill tell you if that works.

The Windows 7 scale goes all the way up to a 7.9 and the system that tests the system is a little more comprehensive than the one that was in VISTA. That means it has more areas to criticize the hardware which is good. If i were you i would go with the ratings that the windows 7 gave you rather than that of windows VISTA.

I have a Hitachi 3.0GB/s 1TB hd and it rates 5.9. It says by the rating it only measures "Disk data transfer rate". I wonder what kind of hardware you would have to have to get a 7.9! :eek:

The hard drive performance test is not about storage space but more about how fast and efficient a hard drive can read and write. I have seagate cheetah 15k rpm and it rates at a astonishing 7.3. The test is by no means flawed because as we all know over time hard drives lose their kick and even those that were once perfect start to fade.

Just wondering what other machines are like for hard drive performance. I have two machines, one running a Seagate 320 GB 7200 RPM drive, the other with a Seagate 500, 7200 RPM drive. The performance index shows them as 2.9 and 3.0, respectively. In Vista, they were both 5.7 and 5.9, respectively.

I'm wondering if this is related to chipset driver optimization...something else...any thoughts?
I also have a Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 3.0gpbs and it now has a performance factor of 3.0 where it used to be 5.x before. My other hardware seems to be rated about the same.

Under your "Disk drives" in device manager, right click your hard drive and click "properties."

On the "Policies" tab, uncheck "Enable write caching on the device"

Click "OK" and then run WEI again

my score went from 2.9 - 5.5

afterwards, just turn it back on

-dcommand3r

Under your "Disk drives" in device manager, right click your hard drive and click "properties."

-dcommand3r

This don't work for my the other PC which Have this
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

which give only 3.0

Seagate drive are sux.. never buy anymore.... this drive is slow and really crashed ..only uses as Slave drive now.

I would take it with a grain of salt. The first time I installed Windows 7 on a Seagate 250gb 7200rpm SATA II disk and it gave it a score of 3.0. The second time I installed Win 7 (decided to dual boot) on a WD 500GB 7200RPM SATA II disk and it gave it a score of 6.0. In fact my gaming graphics score was a 6.0 when it should alot higher as I have an overclocked GTX 260 Core 216 @ 700 / 2500. This is on a Q6700 @ 3.6ghz, 8gb of DDR2 @ 1066Mhz. I just wouldn't stress about it. My guess is that the new experience index will be more accurate, but I think it's still buggy + we're using Vista drivers for most stuff

I would try to either look for an updated driver or reinstall the one you currently have installed. This has been the problem in many cases for many people that the driver did not install correctly.

I think I posted dcomman3r's suggestion back with one of the earlier releases. I have bugged it to Microsoft, but they have not actioned anything - maybe with the next release?? But I should point out that it only works with IDE's.

Last edited by a moderator:

-dcommand3r

That's what i think is going on with my drives! I have two Seagate barracuda 7200.10 250GB (single platter) SATA 7200 3.0Gb/S with 16mb cache drives in Raid 0 and Raid 1 and it only scored a 3.0...i'm not expecting a 7.9, but it's gotta be at least in the 5 range. These particular drives in a raid array are pretty fast...i'll have to check under the policies tab when i go home later. They scored a 5.9 in Vista.

EDIT:
I knew that wasn't right. I just got a score of 5.9! That's more like it. I also ran a test om HD Tune:

Last edited:

I have a Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive and the performance index show it as 3.0 as well. In Vista it is 5.9.

-dcommand3r
Doing that increased my hd rating from 3.0 to 5.7.

Back