Windows 7 Hard Drive Problems

MADFORIT

My hard drive has recently started being accessed on a very regular basis and as a result this has started to slow down my system response times significantly.
With some programs it even freezes them sometimes for a few minutes at a time.

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit
on a
HP a6455 with 3GB Ram
and
AMD 64 Bit Phenom Quad Core
with a 460 GB HDD

If any other info is needed please ask me asap as I really want to get to the bottom of this problem ASAP.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Performance Monitor

What you may want to do is check Start -> Search -> Performance Monitor

Launch Performance Monitor.

Go to System -> System Performance in the left panel

Right-click System Performance and choose "Start".

An assessment will be run for 60 seconds.

Go to the Reports Section and see "System" and "System Performance" there as well.

This report, once completed, will give you a run down on "Hot Files" under Disk Activity.

Please see the enclosed screen shot of this. Check Disk I/O at the top. This indicates Disk Input/Output ratio. If it is a high number, then you need to see what files are using up heavy disk utilization.

Most important stat for you is going to be "File Causing Most Disk I/Os". You can organize this by read and write or KB/s. You will want to see if there is something big there.

It may be a program that is running on start up. You may want to uninstall the program if that is the case. See the screen shot. Here is also a list of other freeware Microsoft tools to measure disk issues:

File and Disk Utilities: Sysinternals Center

Attachments

• disk_performance.gif
    disk_performance.gif
    78.2 KB · Views: 428
My hard drive has recently started being accessed on a very regular basis and as a result this has started to slow down my system response times significantly.
With some programs it even freezes them sometimes for a few minutes at a time.

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit
on a
HP a6455 with 3GB Ram
and
AMD 64 Bit Phenom Quad Core
with a 460 GB HDD

If any other info is needed please ask me asap as I really want to get to the bottom of this problem ASAP.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Do you use a defragger Steve?

This one is free and much, much better than the windows default: Download Auslogics Disk Defrag for free

Back