Windows 7 Hard drives - why is W7 only seeing 2 out of 3??

sawbones

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition RTM and it boots fine, works great, etc. The system is a dual 3.4ghz Xeon socket 604 on a TYAN motherboard. The only real issue so far is with drives. I have a 1.5 terabyte SATA drive and 2 IDE 160gb drives. I have 32bit XP sp3 on the 1.5 tb drive and it sees all 3 drives, but when I installed W7 I made my western digital 160gb (primary slave) the first drive so that it would be where w7 exists. Now to boot w7 I just make this drive the 1st device in the bios boot menu, if I want XP the SATA drive becomes the 1st device.

The problem is that only one of the 160gb drives shows up, and it is the one with w7 on it. All 3 work great in XP but only the 1 160gb and the 1.5tb show up in w7.

Does windows not see the other drive because it is still reporting itsself as primary master even though the bios is probably reporting the drive with w7 as the master? I Suppose I should physically swap cable ends on the cable select cable and report back, I just didn't know if maybe this was a known bug with matched pairs of disks in w7 or something.

cheers,
-Ol' Sawbones Hisself

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition RTM and it boots fine, works great, etc. The system is a dual 3.4ghz Xeon socket 604 on a TYAN motherboard. The only real issue so far is with drives. I have a 1.5 terabyte SATA drive and 2 IDE 160gb drives. I have 32bit XP sp3 on the 1.5 tb drive and it sees all 3 drives, but when I installed W7 I made my western digital 160gb (primary slave) the first drive so that it would be where w7 exists. Now to boot w7 I just make this drive the 1st device in the bios boot menu, if I want XP the SATA drive becomes the 1st device.

The problem is that only one of the 160gb drives shows up, and it is the one with w7 on it. All 3 work great in XP but only the 1 160gb and the 1.5tb show up in w7.

Does windows not see the other drive because it is still reporting itsself as primary master even though the bios is probably reporting the drive with w7 as the master? I Suppose I should physically swap cable ends on the cable select cable and report back, I just didn't know if maybe this was a known bug with matched pairs of disks in w7 or something.

cheers,
-Ol' Sawbones Hisself

In windows 7, are the 2 other hdd's not showing in My Computer or Disk Management or not showing either? ss below.

In windows 7, are the 2 other hdd's not showing in My Computer or Disk Management or not showing either? ss below.

Ah, good thinking. I was able to assign a drive letter in Disk Management and now it works great. Thanks!

-Ol' Sawbones Hisself

PS - Hey, I'm new here, how do you mark a thread as 'solved'?

Last edited:
Ah, good thinking. I was able to assign a drive letter in Disk Management and now it works great. Thanks!

-Ol' Sawbones Hisself

PS - Hey, I'm new here, how do you mark a thread as 'solved'?

No Problem, Welcome to the forums.

As for solved there should be a title edit that has select solved on it but I think admin has it disabled or its not embedded in there code.

Back