Windows 7 Hardware Latency/CPU issues after (SOLVED)

despuit

Had a black out here not too long ago, a program was going to reboot the computer prior however never had its chance. Now I can't use the computer any more due to lag, I spent 8 hours the other day fixing a hardware issue that caused latency spikes of 25ms which was effecting the whole system. Now the average latency has spiked from 2-3ms to 5-10 average which is making audio impossible with my current settings. The interrupts and DPCs are constant 15-20% the ntoskrnl is at 10-15%, i've had this issue before but now I don't have a clue why.

I'm glad my system does restore points when uninstalling programs so I'll try that, but what is your opinion on this anomalous hardware activity?

(reading the threads it looks normal, doesn't account for the usage.) I'll update if restore has no effect.

Well, it would certainly help if we had some specs on the Computer you are discussing. Otherwise, it's kind of like talking to your Mechanic on the phone, and saying "my car is running sluggishly, can you fix it?" Without telling him what kind of car it is, is it a passenger car, truck, SUV, etc. Please provide Make/Model of the computer, Windows Version, and CPU/RAM/HDD/PSU specs. If you have trouble finding this information, download the free SPECCY program from piriform.com and run it; post the text result in your next reply to this thread so we can better help you.

If you posted in the right thread, and your Computer indeed has Windows7 on it, it's between 3-6 years old most likely. The #1 cause of failed computers of that age are hard drives. You should thoroughly test your hard drive (as well as RAM), using SEATOOLS, a free download from seagate.com. Make sure to run BOTH short and long tests on the drive. If SEATOOLS returns a failure, your hard drive has failed, most likely due to the crash your computer suffered from the power-out, and must be replaced. You will need to reinstall your Windows from factory Recovery Discs or Recovery Partition, once the drive has been replaced (if it indeed failed), or backup your personal data to external media first if you haven't already done so. If your drive passes SEATOOLS, the Factory Restore should resolve your latency problem. If it doesn't you may have faulty RAM or Motherboard, and you'll need to come back here for additional tests to be run to narrow that down.

Good luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Have you tried power cycle the router... turn it off at the powerpoint <wait 2 mins> the turn it back on.

edit:eek:pps I'll butt out... the bear is fast!

Well, it would certainly help if we had some specs on the Computer you are discussing. Otherwise, it's kind of like talking to your Mechanic on the phone, and saying "my car is running sluggishly, can you fix it?" Without telling him what kind of car it is, is it a passenger car, truck, SUV, etc. Please provide Make/Model of the computer, Windows Version, and CPU/RAM/HDD/PSU specs. If you have trouble finding this information, download the free SPECCY program from piriform.com and run it; post the text result in your next reply to this thread so we can better help you.

If you posted in the right thread, and your Computer indeed has Windows7 on it, it's between 3-6 years old most likely. The #1 cause of failed computers of that age are hard drives. You should thoroughly test your hard drive (as well as RAM), using SEATOOLS, a free download from seagate.com. Make sure to run BOTH short and long tests on the drive. If SEATOOLS returns a failure, your hard drive has failed, most likely due to the crash your computer suffered from the power-out, and must be replaced. You will need to reinstall your Windows from factory Recovery Discs or Recovery Partition, once the drive has been replaced (if it indeed failed), or backup your personal data to external media first if you haven't already done so. If your drive passes SEATOOLS, the Factory Restore should resolve your latency problem. If it doesn't you may have faulty RAM or Motherboard, and you'll need to come back here for additional tests to be run to narrow that down.

Good luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hey sorry, thanks for reply it is Build 7601 ver 6.1 on lattitude e6400. Runs off AC adapter, no battery. Is a seagate hard drive last I tested it was in good health, the memory is like new is from Samsung, 1.95 total available, virtual 9.13, available virtual 6.86 and 5.18 gb page file. I restored it and interrupts are still high now 10-25, ntoskrnl is 8-12%. and the latency is averaging at 500 μs.

Whoops wrong image here: doesn't look like much but it double the average
upload_2015-8-2_1-37-29.png

Here is what your app says am impressed it actually was able to detect the temps. Haven't had that working in a long time.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8400 P8400 @ 2.26GHz 42 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0HT027 (Microprocessor) 49 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Dell)
Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Dell)
Storage
149GB Seagate ST9160411AS (SATA) 40 °C
Audio
VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable

The ram is fine, the motherboard is fine, the wifi card has fault, the HDD is fine I've tested it before and this seems to be recurring issue rather than from the power out. More of a coincidence, I will run seatools to verify, I don't want to factory reset the thing cause at that point may as well put an ssd into it. I'm thinking an unidentified driver is to blame. Update: sorry I'll bite my tounge on that it could very well be an hdd crash now as it is happening after the restore. I;ll post the results in a min before second quessing.

The cycles are ridiculously high:

upload_2015-8-2_1-29-39.png
upload_2015-8-2_1-28-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-2_1-28-11.png
    upload_2015-8-2_1-28-11.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for getting back. Good info. You said you previously tested the Hard drive? It was in good health. What program or diagnostic did you use to make that determination??? If you are talking about the Dell internal diagnostic; forget about it, that's not substantive. You must use Seatools! Especially with a Seagate drive.
Doing a Restore is NOT the same as doing a Factory Restore with drive wipe option! From your posts, I suspect you already know this, but you are ignoring it for some reason. If you have Windows Registry Corruption or a lurking virus, either of those could cause this type of problem. I've gotten laptops in that as soon as you turn them on, then peg the CPU @99%! Performing a Factory Restore still didn't solve the problem. Remember, that many Rootkit viruses can cause these problems, and unless you use the right detection tool, your normal A-V or Security program may not detect it. It turned out upon further testing, the Customer's hard drive was faulty, along with 1 of the 2 new RAM chips (he got them from some discounter on the Internet; not a very good brand!) he swore were both good.:eek: After replacing his bad hdd with a quality used drive and a quality new RAM chip--all worked perfectly with power on and idle CPU %'s under 5%-10% respectively. Problem solved. :star:

So, I sense a new SSD coming your way for that old laptop. I recommend Kingston or Intel for those.

Best,
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi,
Thanks for getting back. Good info. You said you previously tested the Hard drive? It was in good health. What program or diagnostic did you use to make that determination??? If you are talking about the Dell internal diagnostic; forget about it, that's not substantive. You must use Seatools! Especially with a Seagate drive.
Doing a Restore is NOT the same as doing a Factory Restore with drive wipe option! From your posts, I suspect you already know this, but you are ignoring it for some reason. If you have Windows Registry Corruption or a lurking virus, either of those could cause this type of problem. I've gotten laptops in that as soon as you turn them on, then peg the CPU @99%! Performing a Factory Restore still didn't solve the problem. Remember, that many Rootkit viruses can cause these problems, and unless you use the right detection tool, your normal A-V or Security program may not detect it. It turned out upon further testing, the Customer's hard drive was faulty, along with 1 of the 2 new RAM chips (he got them from some discounter on the Internet; not a very good brand!) he swore were both good.:eek: After replacing his bad hdd with a quality used drive and a quality new RAM chip--all worked perfectly with power on and idle CPU %'s under 5%-10% respectively. Problem solved. :star:

So, I sense a new SSD coming your way for that old laptop. I recommend Kingston or Intel for those.

Best,
<<<BBJ>>>

Speedfan, and other non-substantive programs as you'd put it. I did the short/long test with seatools was fine. My registry should be pretty clean, and I wouldn't expect a virus. I think I'm the virus... I've ran malwarebytes, commodo all good. These ram chips are directly from a brand new Samsung laptop I put my foot through when I was sleeping a week after buying it so they haven't much age under them as I put them in here only a couple months ago. This thing was bought from complete ignorant people, I went to return it and because it had a crack in the frame which is how I bought it they wouldn't take it back. The battery was fried, the mouse didn't work (still has a little bit of problem), the wifi card is trashed, and you can see it has high use as a clean state still yields 250-300 μs, where as there is a desktop here and the latency is 50 μs average, impressive GPU, moderate CPU (better than this) and because of the user installing virus prone applications it so slow that you just don't want to use it. My old laptop from 10 years ago runs better than this, boots in 30 seconds immediately responses at desktop but is only 32 bit so I upgraded to this. If you have any other inclination at the cause of the issue please tell me otherwise I'll work on creating a new image for the device with RT7 and see if it rectifies the issue. As these spikes are recent to the power outage, I've ruled out in my head that the drivers are at fault for the latency. The CPU usage seems ok for what it is, video playback is able to stablise I think the latency is what is pushing it to be unstable as I notice gaps in load times as well for everything else. The CPU I know at this point is my fault, something is a miss with the service chains due to modified driver configuration. Some dependencies even though not required are not being met for the chain to operate efficiently a new os will fix that, and I just have to catalouge the changes in the future so I can track it if it happens again. Though I do need to know what is causing the latency problems, do you know of any advanced tool that can expose the interrupts/latency with more detailed reporting. As of this time I simply see spikes in CPU and response times.

Thanks for bearing with me, no pun intended.

I tried looking for something but ended up with this, is an outline of the hardware. But not any real-time statistics or reports.

Operating Systm

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 14/03/2015 23:16:40
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)

System Model

Dell Inc. Latitude E6400
System Service Tag: HYX5NH1 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: HYX5NH1
Enclosure Type: Portable

Processor a

2.27 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b

Board: Dell Inc. 0HT027
Serial Number: .HYX5NH1.CN129618A92590.
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A31 12/07/2011

Drives

2037.42 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
105.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CDRWDVD MU10N [Optical drive]

Seagate Portable USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 2GH5M1G9
ST9160411AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5TG1B1SP, rev HP86, SMART Status: Healthy
WD Elements 10B8 USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.17 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WXC1E846SJYR

Memory Modules c,d

4048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_A' has 2048 MB (serial number F84C3105)
Slot 'DIMM_B' has 2048 MB (serial number 0C4B3103)

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 159.93 GB 102.18 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 2) 877.32 GB 1.80 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 1) 1000.17 GB 1.25 GB free
* Operating System is installed on c:

Network Drives
None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details)
local user accounts last logon
trans.gif
Eumirus 02/08/2015 01:00:11 (admin)
local system accounts
no.gif
Administrator 21/11/2010 00:47:20 (admin)
no.gif
Guest never
no.gif
Marks a disabled account;
lock.gif
Marks a locked account

Printers
None detected
Controllers
None detected
Display
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
Generic PnP Monitor (14.0"vis)
Bus Adapters
Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C

Multimedia
FiiO X3II
VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable

Virus Protection [Back to Top]
COMODO Antivirus

Group Policies
None detected

Communications
↑ Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.0.101 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
Physical Address: 00:22:5F:29:B7:74
Connection Speed: 48 Mbps
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Networking Dns Servers: 8.26.56.26

Other Devices
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (2x)
Microsoft Composite Battery
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
FiiO X3II
USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
USB Root Hub (8x)
Generic volume shadow copy

USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) [Back to Top]

Last Used

Seagate Portable -- drive 2, s/n 2GH5M1G9, rev 0130 02/08/2015 01:50:19
WD Elements 10B8 -- drive 1, s/n WXC1E846SJYR, rev 1012 02/08/2015 01:49:10
Lexar USB Flash Drive, s/n AAX5MIBQE041QN89, rev 1100 27/07/2015 18:11:06*
FiiO X3II USB-DISK, s/n 323820474077, rev 0100 26/07/2015 18:23:20*
Lexar microSD RDR, s/n 000000000001, rev 0815 22/07/2015 20:55:47*
Lexar USB Flash Drive, s/n 690CFFDBA881F667, rev PMAP 21/07/2015 18:53:49*
* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.

Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details) [Back to Top]
None detected

Network Map (mouse over IP address for physical address) [Back to Top]
IP Device Type Device Details Device Roles
192.168.0.1 Router D-Link DHCP Server, Gateway
192.168.0.100 Asus
192.168.0.101 Windows 7 Workstation E6400dellp8400

detailed analysis attached

Attachments

• E6400DELLP8400 - Copy.txt
    115.8 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Not that I have The Answer, and just for my information, the obvious Windows settings are checked and correct? (Virtual Memory Size; in the Advanced System Settings the performance choise is auto / best) and it is not your Comodo AV or any auto updater?

Henk

Not that I have The Answer, and just for my information, the obvious Windows settings are checked and correct? (Virtual Memory Size; in the Advanced System Settings the performance choise is auto / best) and it is not your Comodo AV or any auto updater?

Henk

Thanks for the reply, all that is ok and I completely disabled Comodo due to an issue with inetcpl. It is working a bit better now, I stepped away from the computer for a couple hours and it seems fine, it is still a little high but it is all most back to normal levels. I don't understand it, I'm sure if stayed on here for a while the issue would recur. But gives a good indication as to what the issue could be. Messing around when I play a video online it doubles up back to that, the red lining is a wifi failure. I'm thinking it is all related, perhaps the power spike just pushed it over the edge. Tested this with another browser and I can now replicate the spikes, before I would see this even when not using a browser. Something must be backing up to cause the cpu issues as well, I'll try removing the wifi card, disabling the shared processes/drivers and go through Ethernet and see what happens. Test it for few hours see what happens.

Network channels in a 2.4 WiFi network may be used by you and your neighbours and the neighbours of your neighbours causing serious slowdowns. Monitoring the network with a program like InSSider will help you with chosing the right channels.

Henk

Glad to report system is operating at peak efficiency (aside from the boot time), I removed the card enabled lan from the bios and ran a few test. I am peaking at 400 with a low of 50. Not sure why the hardware is so jumpy though, I have noticed a spike though before something else is failing. I went to play a video locally and it jumped to 3698 which isn't that bad. Loading video online holds steady, I tested the drive, tried redoing what I was doing during the failure no success. I think I'll leave it at this though, I have nothing left to remove aside from the keyboard/mouse that could be causing this low ended wave, just based on the response it gives it indicates there is a minor stability problem though it is not effecting performance. As for the failure again not much to rule out, this all so occurred when the LAN was disabled. Battery is completely disabled aside from AC, all networking drivers aside from LAN. Going to research the display drivers I have a duplicate entry there and I've noticed programs like roon won't work with it, maybe there is issue there. All so there is unknown device, 5880 which I disabled will check that out as well. This is a E6400, I read the fans are controlled my temp trigger so perhaps I can find a way to lower might help. Have a couple options left. I'll close this as solved though. Nothing to be done at this point, whatever is failing isn't the HDD, so it is either something non-essential like the PS2 inputs or a critical component is simply bust and she'll eventually die. Or could just be a bad install. Like I said system is stable, 3.69ms delay every 30-60 mins is fine by me was 25 seconds before every 10-15. Thanks for every ones input!

Update: Other spikes are due to I/O read activity on external, all else is stable. Disabled IUSB ports, and PCI slots that were unused and latency is down to a low of 25 very pleased. Ordered a new wifi chip and battery, fingers crossed everything will remain stable once they`re in place.

Last edited:
Back