Has virtual box saves filesystems changed?

anotherwindowsuser

Hi,

I just installed virtual box from the ubuntu repository as part of the snap store selection however when I go to open up an old saved .vdi virtual box file it won't let me select it, its as if it wont recognise that file type in the directory in which it is stored, has VB changed in the last few years? Anyway I can access my old saved virtual box? Thanks in advance.

Other than the fact Oracle took over no it hasn't changed. It supports VDI, VMDK, VHD and HDD formats

Well, my joy was short lived, it wont let me start the virtual box based on the below message, not sure what to do because i cannot find the setting it is asking me to disable and what i can see it is not enabled in the first place.
Screenshot at 2020-08-10 21-31-58.png

The VM was probably setup with hardware virtualization, so you will need to enable it in the firmware provided it's supported by the motherboard.

The VM was probably setup with hardware virtualization, so you will need to enable it in the firmware provided it's supported by the motherboard.

Thanks however the message reads its not supported by the host system, is this meaning i cannot do this virual box? I have changed computers since the virtual machine was saved. Thank you for your help.

It's kind of misleading message. The easiest fix would be to look in the firmware and enable virtualization. Almost all but the cheapest of systems should support it.

It's kind of misleading message. The easiest fix would be to look in the firmware and enable virtualization. Almost all but the cheapest of systems should support it.

Looking into firmware sounds like programming to me? Is there not a bios option then? The irony is the computer I switched to is like 8+ times better than the older one.

I have just gone to create a new virtual machine in virtual box on my new computer which I thought would eliminate the problem but it is still throwing up the same error message, I have clearly got no settings on here for acceleration, what is going on? I am looking at the right section???

I'd like to remind people I am running this thread in the Linux section just in case that matters..

When I went to start the machine with it reading optical drive first, it gave this error:

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:ConsoleWrap
Interface:IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-08-11 20-12-57.png
    Screenshot at 2020-08-11 20-12-57.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Wait a minute, why is it when I go to make a virtual machine of a linux distro it only lists 32 bit versions, can you only run 32bit on a virtual box or is something up? I was pretty sure my ubuntu installation was 64bit only so I would have thought it could run a 64 bit machine? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-08-11 20-35-39.png
    Screenshot at 2020-08-11 20-35-39.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 213
Someone just told me you can get old versions of xp as virtual machines can i get one to run on my windows 8.1 laptop? If so how do I get it? Thanks in advance

If the host OS is 64-bit then it should be able to run 32 or 64-guests. As the one message states, you will need to enable AMD-V in the firmware since the 64-bit version of virtualbox requires hardware virtualization enabled in firmware

If the host OS is 64-bit then it should be able to run 32 or 64-guests. As the one message states, you will need to enable AMD-V in the firmware since the 64-bit version of virtualbox requires hardware virtualization enabled in firmware
If I gave you my pc board number would you be able to assist? I looked around but couldnt see anything about hardware virtualisation. can we not make it a software only thing?

Well I just installed virtual box to my laptop running win8.1 and i get the exact same problem about virtualisation setting... :(

I eventually got vbox running on both Linux computer and the laptop, Linux could do it after changing a setting in the bios which had an obscure name I could only do it on the laptop by updating the bios in that. Curiously I could not update to the latest bios, only the second latest. The latest bios update software would not run in either the Windows 8 or xp installation. Anyway I wish to say thanks to all for the responses to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom