Windows Vista Haunted Happenings; Vista Machine Acting Wierd After Virus Detection

AnythingGoes

A couple days ago, I came to my computer in the morning and there was about 3 or 4 Virus Warning screens from Avast... The screens were warning me about a virus'ed file called welik.exe...

As I closed those boxes (after selecting DELETE), several more would pop up.. Click DELETE and close those. For every I closed, another would open..

I did a manual RESET and rebooted the machine. As it booted up, same thing would happen. It would warn me about 'welik.exe' and everytime I would delete and close the box, another would pop up.

Scheduled a boot scan and then manually reset and rebooted.

No virusii were found in the boot scan.

Booted up normally and everything seemed to be fine.

But, lately, there are "gremlin" type problems. I cannot connect to web sites, but on the second or third try, it works.. I can't detect any other workstations on my network (I have 7) and things like that.

I have done several scans with AVAST with zero detections. I have tried a couple ONLINE scanners, but am not satisfied with the results, IE I can't be sure if they are detecting stuff, just to encourage me to buy their software..

I know that the best course of action is to whack the HD and re-install, but I really want to avoid that, if at all possible.

Anyone have any suggestions short of whack and re-install??

Thanx in advance.

AG

First make sure your antivirus is updated with the latest definations. Then rescan. Next thing I recomened is to run any all spyware, malware, adware programs you have. Then do a disk defrag and registry cleanup. There is alot of free stuff out there. Here is a some to get you started. Then Reboot after all that is done and run your system for awhile and see how it acts then post back with results.

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
Malwarebytes
Spybot S&D
Spywaredoctor (from google pack on googles home page) (look under the more and even more tabs)
CCleaner
Auslogics Disk Defrag
Auslogics Registry Cleaner

Thanx for the reply..

I am running a Kapersky Online Scan right now.. It's going to take a while.. :(

Once that's done, I'll check those other programs you mentioned.

Is this 'welik.exe' virus anything special?? It's like it appeared outta no where...

Thanx again..

Wierd thing is, I can access other workstations on the LAN via PING and SSH...

But I can't see any workstations through Winblows Explorer...

Grrrrrrr

It's driving me to drink! Well, actually it's more of a short walk...

Thanx for the reply..

I am running a Kapersky Online Scan right now.. It's going to take a while.. :(

Once that's done, I'll check those other programs you mentioned.

Is this 'welik.exe' virus anything special?? It's like it appeared outta no where...

Thanx again..

Hi! It's Malware Software. Resists interrogation by security products. (Runs 294.912 bytes or 65,536 bytes.) Aliases are: 13178053. EXE, 99802981. EXE, 10176476. EXE
I'm not sure why this got by Windows Defender? Maybe not updated? Link Removed due to 404 Error Or, You can try Major Geeks Trojan Remover 6.7.8. Build 2577 (Its been updated from 2575)

Back