Windows 8 Have these bugs/annoyances been fixed in the Windows version that was released on 26th October or ar

navienavnav

Problem 1 : You can't change the color of the tile bar text color and the minimize/maximize buttons which renders it impossible to see these with dark colored themes. Read more about the issue here :

Windows 8 Desktop UI - Change Title Text Color?

Problem 2: : Presence of "Windows 7 File Recovery" in Windows 8 RTM build 9200. :hopelessness:

Have MS fixed this or released it just the way it was on the 26th? :cold:

As far as I can tell, you still can't change the taskbar/titlebar text color. This one annoys me, too.

As far as I can tell, you still can't change the taskbar/titlebar text color. This one annoys me, too.

Hello sgage. Thanks for the response. What do you exactly mean by "as far as I can tell" ? Have you used the retail version? If this really hasn't been fixed, this is enough to keep me away from Windows 8. First time in history will I move away from Windows as this isn't just a small issue for me, it's a big issue. It kills my eyes to see the same color scheme again and again every day. Kind of deteriorates my mood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello sgage. Thanks for the response. What do you exactly mean by "as far as I can tell" ? Have you used the retail version? If this really hasn't been fixed, this is enough to keep me away from Windows 8. First time in history will I move away from Windows as this isn't just a small issue for me, it's a big issue. It kills my eyes to see the same color scheme again and again every day. Kind of deteriorates my mood.

Yes, I am running the retail version. By "as far as I can tell", I mean that if such a functionality exists, I have been unable to find it. I have no doubt that someone will come up with a way to do it. It's a medium-small issue to me - I'd like to have white text on black taskbar buttons/titlebars. But it's not a showstopper for me.

Yes, I am running the retail version. By "as far as I can tell", I mean that if such a functionality exists, I have been unable to find it. I have no doubt that someone will come up with a way to do it. It's a medium-small issue to me - I'd like to have white text on black taskbar buttons/titlebars. But it's not a showstopper for me.

Ah, let's hope someone does find a way to do that. What about the "Windows 7 File Recovery" in the control panel? Have they renamed it/ fixed it? Can you take a look for me please? :D

Ah, let's hope someone does find a way to do that. What about the "Windows 7 File Recovery" in the control panel? Have they renamed it/ fixed it? Can you take a look for me please? :D

Not sure what you mean... I don't see anything called 'Windows 7 File Recovery' in the control panel even on my Windows 7 installation, just 'Recovery'. If that's what you mean, yes, it is there in Windows 8.

Not sure what you mean... I don't see anything called 'Windows 7 File Recovery' in the control panel even on my Windows 7 installation, just 'Recovery'. If that's what you mean, yes, it is there in Windows 8.

That is not the recovery I am talking about. You are probably confusing it with another option "Recovery" (a different option which is also present in the control panel with a computer and clock icon.)

This is what I mean :

Screenshot (4).png

And I am not the only one. This has previously been discussed here...

http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-support/10640-windows-7-file-recovery-windows-8-rtm.html

and here again,

http://windows8forums.com/windows-8...-windows-8-ms-forgot-rename-feature-what.html

It was like this all the way through all the previews and the RTM. Have you used the RTM, Consumer Preview or release preview?

If yes, then this is strange. If no, it could mean that they have fixed/patched this issue in the retail version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on - I just found 'Windows 7 File Recovery' in my Windows 8 Control Panel. Don't know how I missed it before. Anyway, it looks just like the Windows 7 stuff for making backups/system images, and restoring them.

Hang on - I just found 'Windows 7 File Recovery' in my Windows 8 Control Panel. Don't know how I missed it before. Anyway, it looks just like the Windows 7 stuff for making backups/system images, and restoring them.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. They signed off their OS with "Windows 7 File Recovery" in the control panel, visible in plain sight. It's Windows 8 and hence, it should have been renamed to Windows 8 File Recovery. This is gross negligence. It is not a bug that could be overlooked while testing/quality check. I know it's just a cosmetic issue. But it shows how the OS was signed off as "finished" and the hurry/carelessness with which this was done.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. They signed off their OS with "Windows 7 File Recovery" in the control panel, visible in plain sight. It's Windows 8 and hence, it should have been renamed to Windows 8 File Recovery. This is gross negligence. It is not a bug that could be overlooked while testing/quality check. I know it's just a cosmetic issue. But it shows how the OS was signed off as "finished" and the hurry/carelessness with which this was done.

Actually, I think it is completely intentional (though stupid) - I think they want to deprecate the backup/restore thing, and get people using File History instead (which is in no way a suitable substitute). So they call it 'Windows 7 File Recovery', in case you want to restore you files from a Windows 7 backup that you'd made, but they want it to seem obsolete. Don't ask me why. Don't ask me why a lot of things in Windows 8. :)

Nope, they were just too hasty and careless. A bad move.

I don't think so. I've read that MS really wants to move people to this 'File History' thing. Stupid, IMO, but a conscious decision that they made. I really don't think, with all the testing they did, that it would say 'Windows 7' if they meant it to say 'Windows 8'. They are trying to de-emphasize it, and ease it off the stage...

IMO, MS made a lot of weird (and unwise) decisions with Win8, but I don't think they carelessly forgot to change the name. I think it was intentional.

Back