Windows 7 Have to reset network adapter when changing networks

sacoward

This may have no solution, but everytime I move my laptop from my office network to my home network (without rebooting) I have to reset the network adapter (this applies to wifi and ethernet connections). This is a real pain. I don't have to do this with my phone or Kindle . . . and I can't understand why my laptop cannot handle this.

My office is on 192.168.1.x and my home is on 192.168.2.x I am running Win 7-64

Please help.

thanks!

Two different subnets, so....
If you are using DHCP in both places, which I suspect you are simply open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /release
and then
ipconfig /renew
to get the new scheme from the other DHCP source.
You could even create a small batch file and put it on your desktop to semi-automate the process.

So I take it there is no automated way to do this? It just seems that Windows should be able to handle this . . . especially since my other devices handle this without a problem.

Not actually automated, because of DHCP lease times and their expiration. The computer wants to keep it based on that setting and you have to manually release it. In order to get a new and different one.

It might very well prove beneficial to some degree, since the subnets were the same it should work, provided you don't walk in with an ipaddress that is conflicting with one already issued to another network node, and of course provided that the default gateway is the same as well as DNS server addresses (usually defaulted to the router's inside address)

Back