Windows 7 HD 4870 X2 and Windows 7

bpgt64

I can't seem to get windows to recognize my graphics card. It won't allow me to alter the driver for the GPU and under Device manager there's not even a Display adapter listed.

I can't seem to get windows to recognize my graphics card. It won't allow me to alter the driver for the GPU and under Device manager there's not even a Display adapter listed.
I have an X2 and I managed to install it without any problems. I tried both the ATI Windows 7 preview drivers as well as the regular 8.12 drivers for Vista...both tested without any issues whatsoever.

What are your hardware specs?

CPU: Intel QX9650 / Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
Video: ATI 4870X2 / 24" BenQ FP241WZ LCD
Motherboard & RAM: Asus P5E3 Deluxe (X38) / 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600
Storage: WD Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS SATA-500GB / WD 500GB My Book Premium ES / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives / Thermaltake ST0005U HDD Docking Station.
Optical Storage: Samsung SH-S203N DVD-RW
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500

Last edited:
Sapphire HD 4870 X2
Intel E8400 Oced@ 4.0Ghz
4x2gb G.Skill DDR2 1066
Asus P5Q SE/R
Xigmatec 750W PSU
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM

I have received a legitimate key from MS finally, so I am going to activate as soon as I can. I also partitioned my HD into two 250gb sections, One running Window's Business Vista, and the other will run the Windows 7 Beta.

Did you do anything special? I am thinking it might have something to do with my Motherboard, I don't have all the drivers for the chipset installed yet, but still under device manager it still doesn't show a display adapter.

Did you do anything special? I am thinking it might have something to do with my Motherboard, I don't have all the drivers for the chipset installed yet, but still under device manager it still doesn't show a display adapter.
Use the Intel chipset drivers for Windows Vista 64-bit for your Asus motherboard. I used a file called "INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets (64-bit)". Once installed, everything else fell into place without any problems. Granted, I have an X38 chipset and yours is a P45. I think once that is resolved, your video card will then install using either the ATI Windows 7 preview drivers or the regular ATI drivers. I tried both and they are both fine.

I think this is the root of the problem, my motherboards chipset is not being identified properly, however the program you suggested, as well as the program from Asus's website with chipset drivers all stall saying "OS not supported" error, so is there anyway to get around that?

Back