Windows Vista Hello 'm new here and need some advice

Stephen5148

I just bought a new Asus notebook with Vista on it and I have afew questions
i'm a advanced computer user so I know my way around the OS
I already have a computer that runs Vista but how do I transfer all my stuff from this computer to my new one when I get it in afew days?
i'm mainly trying to find my game saves and my documents and such.
and if you want I can tell you all the games I have installed on this system and other programs I have.

You could try the 'Easy Transfer' utility found in the start menu/all programs area.. This uses either disk or a special cable.. A kind of USB cable that plugs into both machines but as it's quite expensive the disk route is probably the one to do?

As Vista is on your new laptop, Games saves and documents could be more quickly transferred by using a USB plug or burning them to a CD. (Not sure about the "such" - lol)You would find it necessary to transfer the whole directories in the case of the saved games, but you might have to find your way around how to transfer any programs, particularly the Games, to your new OS. Best would be to reinstall them and set them up again.The Easy transfer works well for your various customisation and modification routines, although it is a rather long and tedious process. I did it on my first install of the retail release, using the disk alternative, and ended up with two full CD,s. (which I still keep but have never used since!)

ok I've looked at the easy transfer you can also do it by networking which both of these machines have gigabit ethernet ports that should work out well.
but i'll list the games here which I will back up.
they are as follows
thief deadly shadows love this game LOL.
command and conquer 3 tiberium wars.
world of warcraft
lord of the rings online
Tomb Raider anniversary
Myst revelations
myst end of ages
Final fantasy XI online
The lord of the rings the battle for middle earth 2

if you can help locate the game saves from these games I would really appreciate it
thanks for the help so far.

Phew. I have to chicken out on that one. I don't play a lot of games and, frankly, have no idea how to find my way around those!

You Document folder is a good place to look. Often a game will put a 'saved settings' folder in there or you may have a My Games folder which will also contain several games and their saves. If the game in question isn't in the above places then open the program files and check which-ever games folders you have in there.

Back