Windows 7 HELP, .exe file association is locked to Notepad

thejuggernaut

[Solved] HELP, .exe file association is locked to Notepad

Hello everyone, I am a computer fool who has just jumped on the Win7 bandwagon because i was tired of XP clogging my machine up ( not to mention infested with bugs).
I had wanted to run a .exe/.exc file and somehow, windows determined that Notepad was the best program to open it... the problem is that it has locked every other .exe/,exc file to Notepad, leaving my computer vulnerable. I cannot even open regedit. how do I overcome this niggling issue on an otherwise wonderful os... ?

Machine Specs :
Processor : P4HT 3.0GHz mildy clocked to 3.2GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2
HDD: Main Seagate 500GB 16MB + 3 others

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am a computer fool who has just jumped on the Win7 bandwagon because i was tired of XP clogging my machine up ( not to mention infested with bugs).
I had wanted to run a .exe/.exc file and somehow, windows determined that Notepad\

I have attached a reg file that should reset it. Downlod it and click on it and allow it to merge. Then reboot.

Here is the contents of the reg file:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;reset exe file association
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
"exefile"=hex(0):

ABSOLUTELY THE ISSUE! .. in my version though.. the check box was not uncheckable... it was locked .. so i had not the choice

Back