Windows 7 Help me try to map a network drive

Matt PC Guy

Please help me try to map a network drive from a different PC on the same network!

When I try to do it this pops up:
HELP.png

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 on the PC I'm trying to add the drive to and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 on the PC where I want to map to.

They are both on the same workgroup.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

This other PC, is it a work PC and is it part of some company network setup? That would be my guess as to why you're seeing the error message pop up.

Have you created a share on the drive you're attempting to map? You need to specify the share name along with the computer name such as \\MATHEW-PC\MyShare.

Are you trying to connect from home to a work domain?

With windows 8/8.1 MS has made it much much easier to connect from the home to a work domain. I'm not sure how it works on windows 7, with that said, I would ask the network admin for the steps necessary to connect from home.

Please right click in folder select properties and verify that the shared name is there. If it is, copy it exactly with the \\. Then right click on Computer and select Map Network Drive... Paste name exactly and see what happens. I'm not in front of a pc right now but this should be the steps.

Sent from my iPhone using WindowsForum

Back