Windows 8 Help. Minecraft forge is not working

Dillion Kinsey

Ok, so I'm trying to make minecraft forge work. I have it installed, but whenever I double click on it to open and set it up, it asks how I want to open the .jar file. I watched YouTube videos because I thought I did something wrong, but whenever they click on it, it opens like it should normally. I even made sure they were running Windows 8. I'm using a 64 bit version of windows 8 if it makes a difference. Could anyone help me with this problem?

Please post a link to the files you downloaded and I'll test it for you... sounds like a broken torrent but who knows.

This is most likely because jar files are not properly associated with Java. My suggestion would be to uninstall Java and download the latest version from java.com, you should get the 64-bit version if you're running a 64-bit OS.
You are most likely behind in your Java version anyways so this will get you to the latest version (updates are released often).

Some files are not labeled correctly & the jar library has older file versions than the windows installer does but that shouldn't have blocked you in the way you described.

1. Try updating your jar as Josephur suggests…

2. If you run the jar (first time) it should generate a text file called eula.txt so that you can agree to the terms… it's sounds unlikely but if you don't have a editor associated with jar files it is possible that is blocking you.
mine2.png

You could work around this by making a eula.txt file in the same directory and type "eula=True" without the quotes.

mine.png

3. I recommend, you download and run the Windows installer instead… some systems consider jar executable to be a security risk.

Good luck with it mate.

Back
Top Bottom