Windows 7 help! motherboard wont post

tmeadows34

ok so I have a GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard It was working fine for about 2 months then stopped posting. I contacted Gigabyte's support line they said to try a few different things and listen to how many beeps the board gives but the board doesn't beep. so they accepted it as RMA

I got it back about a month later put my system back together and it still wont post! I contacted the RMA center and they tell me that their engineers were able to install different CPUs and Windows Vista to run there stress tests on the board with no trouble found. and to Please contact their tech support. I have tried removing ram and components still no post. power goes to the board, the fan slightly spins but the board just never takes off any suggestions on what may be the problem? My specs are in my sig.

You need to tell us what devices are different between what they tested with and what you test with. The Power Supply would be obvious, but did they use your CPU or memory? You are probably trying to boot the board with no additional devices installed.

like I said I've been using the items in my sig.
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H
Ram: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
Power: Rosewill Stallion Series 500W ATX12V
and a sony cd drive
and a wd green hard drive sata 500gb

I have no idea what the guys at gigabyte have used, they didn't say.
I have tried running the system with everything connected and have one by one removed components with the same out come. I wouldn't think it to be the PSU as it is getting power to the board, the fan spins, and my case lights light up.

I was trying to find out if you left the memory and CPU on the board when you sent it back. That might have eliminated 2 possibilities.

If the memory is bad or not inserted correctly it can cause it not to post. The CPU could have gotten hot and been damaged.

Can you get a very cheap cpu that would work on your board for testing? Can you use just one stick of ram or find a temporary replacement..?

Can you remember what you might have been doing just prior to the problem that could lead to what happened, like heavy game play, or connecting/disconnecting something. Have you tried unplugging your hard drive and just using a boot DVD?

No I didn't send any of my components in with the board. I was too afraid that I wouldn't get them back.
Unfortunately this computer in compassed all the up to date parts I have. My other computer is significantly older and it isn't an am2 socket, plus the memory is an older standard.

My new system was working fine for close to 2 months and then one morning it was off. I turned it back on and nothing happened. It wont post and it gives no indication beeps to lead me to the problem. I have unplugged the HDD. this just sucks I feel like before I wast money buying another processor to test out I could just buy another mobo. but Still I just paid like $60-70 for this one do I hate to waste money you know.

would the board attempt to post with the CPU removed? I could try taking it out and powering it up. is there any other way to determine if the CPU is the issue? I just keep thinking why wont this board give me a indication beep.

well first thing is does it have a system speaker ??

this will be a tiny device or a larger case speaker connected to two pins normally over in the corner by the same place you connect your case power switch and reset and hard drive indicator light , identify the point by checking your manual etc .......

The system cannot run a POST check without the CPU :frown:

The whole idea idea of POST is for the motherboard to identify and recognize all of the devices which start with CPU then RAM then AGP or PCI graphics card and hard drives and CD roms etc ......

If the refusal to boot was to do with any of these devices it would give differing beep codes to identify a problem , so my feelings would be if I was confident the system speaker was connected properly then no beep would suggest a dead CPU :/

difficult to solve with limited money, maybe buy a cheap and cheerful alternative CPU that would match the socket, and if that gets you working put up with the lack of speed until you can replace :cool:

then you can build your sister or your mum a cheap and cheerful system at some point in the future ;)

Last edited:
Can you get to the bios? Do you have a motherboard manual, if not download one.

On page 91 of your user manual, there is a troubleshooting flow chart. Have you done that? Did you notice when in the bios, you can use <ctrl>+<F1> to bring up advanced bios options. Maybe you can turn on a speaker there.

It gives the beep codes so you must be able to use some type of speaker.

Go through those pages to see if anything helps.

well first thing is does it have a system speaker ??

this will be a tiny device or a larger case speaker connected to two pins normally over in the corner by the same place you connect your case power switch and reset and hard drive indicator light , identify the point by checking your manual etc .......

you know i feel dumb that I hadn't thought of that. I'm relatively novice to system building and gigabyte when asking about beeps never mentioned a system speaker. Could I buy one cheap, and plug it in to see what sort of beeps it may be throwing off?

I have the manual and box and everything for the mobo, just not with me right now I'm at work. Perhaps this weekend I can get a speaker to start and work from there.

No salygrass i cant get to the bios i dont get anything the board just seems dead, power is going through it and the fan spins slowly but but nothing else is happening. and I cant power down by holding the power button I have to manually power down the PSU.

you know i feel dumb that I hadn't thought of that. I'm relatively novice to system building and gigabyte when asking about beeps never mentioned a system speaker. Could I buy one cheap, and plug it in to see what sort of beeps it may be throwing off?

I have the manual and box and everything for the mobo, just not with me right now I'm at work. Perhaps this weekend I can get a speaker to start and work from there.

not dumb just hopeful that you wouldn't have needed a system speaker :rolleyes:

easiest way would be if your case has a system speaker just backtrack the two wires and plug them up to your motherboard , or ask your local system building PC shop for one they should be pennies. or Link Removed due to 404 Error :)

I fairly certain there isn't a system speaker on the board. I know my case has headphone jack that connects to the board but i would assume that it would not perform the same function. I'll have to see if any one has a system speaker local, or order one.

Make sure you check your case for a speaker in the front, or the box it came in. Those speakers are just basic small speakers, or maybe even a piezoelectric device if it will connect to the board. Radio Shack or a computer repair place would have one. Make sure you know that the connector looks like.

Back