Windows 7 Help Needed To Remove Agent Lockout Program

Patriotpapa2010

My son purchased a used Compaq CQ69 Laptop from Aaron's Rental and after paying it out, a program appeared with information from Aaron's claiming to be locking out unless connected to internet to verify Network (connected but acted as if it wasn't) or to get lockout password from Aaron's. Aaron's denied putting software on computer claiming previous renter must have loaded it and refused to fix it. Reloaded to factory settings, but program continues to install and lockout desktop. any help would be appreciated.

whats the name of the software on the pc? Are you able to login succesfully and have u tried booting in safe mode?

whats the name of the software on the pc? Are you able to login succesfully and have u tried booting in safe mode?
I see no actual name on software, but is blue screen w. Information: Agent Machine [locked] Offline Key [F4-5C5B0A-79B86] Version 5.6.5 Picture of Agent on left side. Says "Your computer has been deactivated because it was unable to contact network to verify status. Gives option to connect to internet for verification, doesn't work, then contact owner for password, which it names Aaron's, though Aaron's denies putting software on computer. Says computer must verify every 120 days.

are u able to install ure own operating system ? like windows XP or windows 7? to be fair if he bought the pc from Aarons then there could be anything on the pc i.e virus's etc.

I suggest you take the computer back where you bought it. It sounds like Aaron's put some type of security on it to make it useless if stolen. I would also question the if the liscense is OEM to the machine or an Enterprise version that would not allow a reinstall.
Joe

yea but surely it doesnt matter wat is on the HDD if u boot up from a CD first with a installation disk then the HDD would never come into effect and boot this software up?

yea but surely it doesnt matter wat is on the HDD if u boot up from a CD first with a installation disk then the HDD would never come into effect and boot this software up?
Unfortunately, it didn't come with an installation disc because it was used. May end up purchasing one, but would like to eliminate program w/o going to the expense.

Your best bet especially if NO information is on the laptop is to completely wipe it out. They should have given you a restore disc or told you how to go about doing it especially if it's from Compaq. If you can boot into laptop there is usually a place in all programs where you can create a system restore disc that would wipe out everything on Hard drive including their security protection program.
like someone stated above, press F8 key and see if it would allow you into the system.
Another thing you can try is to download something like Ubuntu, free open source OS and download live CD and boot it up. If that message comes up again, then check your BIOS or setup, usually F2 key and look closely for something weird about password lock or something. If not, then there may be something physically added to laptop to prevent it from booting up.

I'm suspicious that there might be something with the BIOS. You can download Windows 7 iso at Digital River, but with laptops you sometimes need extra drivers. I'd do some searching and see if there is a recovry partition on it.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom