Windows Vista Help Needed with Vista Network Connection.

BobHelms

Extraordinary Member
Hello;
My 1st post here. I have a new laptop running Vista Ultimate. I want to connect it to an existing network via wired 10MB ethernet. This network connection is always up. I'm experienced with XP's connection setup but Vista doesn't offer the same setup option to configure via a broadband connection unless USERID and PASSWORD information is supplied. My Linksys router does the USERID & PASSWORD thing. So how do I configure Vista to do what XP does without a USERID & PASSWORD? I've tried searching for this information in this forum but I've been unable to find an answer. TIA for any help.
Bob Helms

Hi kemical;
Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to get to a XP machine for any file or printer sharing. I want to establish an internet connection from the Vista laptop through a Linksys router which has an "always on" connection to my ISP through a DSL modem. My XP laptop is already attached to the router and is working. I'm trying to figure out how to configure the Vista machine to have the same internet access. The USERID and PASSWORD for my ISP connection is supplied by the router (through a DSL modem) at power up. XP has a configuration option to connect to "an internet connection that is always on" and it does not require USERID & PASSWORD. Vista's "Connect to the internet via broadband" option does not offer a connection option without USERID & PASSWORD. So how does Vista connect to the internet when using a "always on internet connection"? TIA for you help.
Bob Helms

I think the password you are referring to is for user accounts. The password I'm referring to is for access to my ISP, I can't turn that one off.

Do you have you're remote desktop turned on ?
No I don't. I want to surf the internet, not access another computer. I would like to start IE7, go to Google and do a search for whatever. That requires a tcpip connection through my router & DSL modem to my ISP (AT&T) and ultimately the WWW. So I'm trying to figure out how to tell Vista that the AT&T connection is up and ready, and the connection doesn't need a userid and password. Again here is the setup I'm trying to get working;

AT&T DSL > Motorola Netopia 2210-02 DSL Modem > Linksys BEFSR41 Router > Lenovo T500 Laptop with Vista Ultimate.

Here is my working configuration;

AT&T DSL > Motorola Netopia 2210-02 DSL Modem > Linksys BEFSR41 Router > IBM R51 Laptop with XP-Pro SP2. Note: The AT&T DSL connection, DSL modem & Linksys Router equipment are one and the same in both scenarios.

The XP machine is setup to have "an internet connection that is always on". It was configured with the XP "New Connection Wizard". Both machines are connected to the router with RJ45 Ethernet cables.

Is Vista Bothering You ?

I'm sorry, is this something simple like you don't want the computer to ask you for a user name and password every time you use your computer?

You can be logged in automatically:

Click start
Type "netplwiz" in the search box and press enter

Select the user you want to auto-login automatically and then
uncheck the box reading "Users must enter a user name and
password to use this computer"

Enter your password when prompted leave empty if none

Click OK

Note: Your computer is capable of remote access, not all Vista versions are.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, is this something simple like you don't want the computer to ask you for a user name and password every time you use your computer?

You can be logged in automatically:

Click start
Type "netplwiz" in the search box and press enter

Select the user you want to auto-login automatically and then
uncheck the box reading "Users must enter a user name and
password to use this computer"

Enter your password when prompted leave empty if none

Click OK

Note: Your computer is capable of remote access, not all Vista versions are.

This is so simple that I can't seem to ask the right question(s). This has nothing to do with user accounts or logging on or into any Vista system be me or anyone else. It's about connecting to the internet. I'm trying to migrate from XP to Vista and I want both of my Laptops connected to the internet at the same time for downloads and migration help, not to talk to each other. I'll use a flash drive to move pertinent data.

In the XP world when you connect to the internet with a TCP/IP setup as I described in my last post you must go into Control Panel > Network Connections > New Network Wizard > Connect to the internet > Set up my connection manually > Connect using a broadband connection that is always on. This is a high speed connection using DSL. It is always active and it does NOT require you to sign in to your Internet Service Provider. The ISP sign in is done by the Router before any laptop is ever booted.

So now back to my first post. I'm trying to figure out how to do the setup / configuration on the Laptop running Vista Ultimate to connect to the internet over Ethernet, not the XP laptop or remote access of any kind. I'm the only user on both laptops so logging into either one has always been quick and easy. I don't think netplwiz will help my situation. Thanks.

Bob Helms

Hello Bob

Did you create a connection on your own,. such a s a VPN.

You don't need to create any connection,,. It should be identified automatically.

In Vista,. go to Start > Run and type cmd now type ping google.com.

My replies average 45ms,. What is yours?

Back