Windows 7 HELP...new HD and will not recover from disk

mike62

I have an HP dv6-2155dx and purchased a new HD just like what came out actually a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA new HD.

I turned it off and put disk 1 in the drive and turned it on. It loads windows and asks for each of the 3 disk but no luck from there. When it restarts it goes to the black screen and says "no bootable disk place disk and hit any key". When I do it just tries to reload it again. I have restarted many times, loaded many times, and tried to start from the DVD and the notebook hard drive and no luck. When I am in system recovery I have tried each option and it loads but same thing back to needing a bootable disk.

On my old laptop this was a simple process when I put a new disk in and used the recovery disk but this has been terrible.

Please advise what I can do. None of my research has helped. Thanks.

I assume when you say it asks for 3 disks, this is an HP recovery scenario? I am not familiar with the HP process, but what do you see during the time you think your system is being restored? Are you removing the original disc when you reboot? Do you have other internal or external drives or any flash drives?

Why did you replace the Hard Drive?

It may be a situation where something on the original drive is required. Are you following a procedure for installing a new hard drive?

I assume when you say it asks for 3 disks, this is an HP recovery scenario? I am not familiar with the HP process, but what do you see during the time you think your system is being restored? Are you removing the original disc when you reboot? Do you have other internal or external drives or any flash drives?

It may be a situation where something on the original drive is required. Are you following a procedure for installing a new hard drive?

Maybe they had the boot files on a hidden partition on the original drive or in the recovery partition.
Joe

Yes it is recovery that took 3 DVD's I made when new.

When it is being restored I see the progress bar that tells what percentage is complete it will then eject and ask for the next disk. Once all 3 have completed it restarts..........then takes me back into the loop of "insert bootable disk".

I have removed the disk prior to restart, left it in, etc. several times. I don't have any other drives attached.

I replaced it because I purchased a new one and was going to give this one to a family member. I tried the disk scrubber on my old HD but had this same basic problem and was told (although it is fairly new) the drive might be bad.....big coincedence. However, I purchased a new HD thinking it would be a simple install...........not this time.

As far as procedure it was installed correctly. I don't think any formatting is necessary. I inserted the first recovery disk and turned on the computer...........it should be simple from there on but hence my problem.

I will have to check the HP information on your system. But as Joe mentions, that recovery procedure may not have been designed for a new drive.

If you still have access to the old drive (if it wasn't erased), can you still make a backup image and use that to restore to a new hard drive?

Edit: I am not able to see any procedure on the HP site other that what you are doing. Do you know if the old drive had a recovery partition? Can you get into any type of DOS prompt, either from the recovery process or the F8 key or whatever that system might use?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom