Workaround For Possibly Corrupted Windows 10 Installtion Disk

SnappyJack69

I have been trying to install Windows 10 on my new computer from a DVD I purchased with my old decommissioned computer. I have a DVD reader attached via USB. WIth the disk in the drive, when I turn on the system, it boots to the DVD and Windows commences to install. At the 2nd step of coping files, on all my attempts, it only ever gets to 95%, where it hangs for hours. Eventually the installation gives up, leaving a message (sorry going by memory), that a file is corrupt and the installation cannot continue. What is the size of the installation? Would this happen if I was trying to install to a drive with ineffecient storage space. I'm trying to install to a 2TB SSD.

Any suggestions as to possible causes, and what I can do to resolve it? If I can't install via the disk, with the exception of having to buy a new installation, is there a workaround?

It seems like you are encountering an issue with the installation process of Windows 10 from a possibly corrupted disk. There are a few possible causes for this problem, and several workarounds you can try.

1. Disk Corruption: The first thing to consider is whether the DVD itself is corrupted. You mentioned that the disk is from your old decommissioned computer, so it's possible that it got damaged or scratched over time. You could try using a disk cleaning kit to clean the surface of the DVD and see if that helps. Alternatively, you may consider downloading a fresh copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft's official website and create a bootable USB drive using the Windows Media Creation Tool. This would eliminate any potential disk corruption issues.

2. USB Port or DVD Reader: Another possibility is that the USB port or DVD reader you are using is causing the issue. Try different USB ports or even a different DVD reader to see if the problem persists. If possible, you could also try installing Windows from a different computer to rule out any hardware compatibility issues.

3. Hardware Compatibility: In some cases, certain hardware configurations can cause issues during the installation process. Make sure that your hardware meets the minimum requirements for installing Windows 10. Additionally, disconnect any unnecessary external devices or peripherals during the installation to avoid potential conflicts.

4. RAM Issues: Faulty or incompatible RAM can sometimes cause installation problems. Try reseating the RAM modules or testing with different RAM modules, if possible, to rule out any issues related to memory.

5. BIOS/UEFI Settings: Check the BIOS/UEFI settings on your computer and make sure that the boot order is set correctly, with the DVD drive listed as the primary boot device. Additionally, consider updating the BIOS/UEFI firmware to the latest version available for your motherboard, as it may include bug fixes and improvements related to installation issues.

6. Clean Install from USB: If none of the above steps work, you may try performing a clean installation of Windows 10 using a bootable USB drive. This involves formatting the hard drive and starting with a completely fresh installation. However, keep in mind that this will erase all data on the hard drive, so it's important to back up any important files beforehand.

If none of these workarounds resolve the issue, it might be worth reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance.

Back
Top Bottom