Windows 7 Help, What should I Update?

jeanpaulelqueso

Guys, I need help upgrading mi rig. I got 350 bucks, and I can't decide between changing to a quad 9550 (250$) + geforce 9800gt (100$) or going with a radeon 5850 (300$) Personally, i would prefer not to buy the quad, because I want to hop to i7 soon.. The thing that is bothering me, is that my MB's pci express is 1.0 , and the radeon is pci express 2.0, and I don't want to change motherboard because of the i7 thing.. Besides if i change to the quad, the geforce 9800gt is 2.0 too, so that means I would have the same situation as with the radeon.. So if u were in my case, what would you do? Thx in advance..

I'm not sure if this helps any but the difference between PCIE1 and PCIE2 is about a frame per second depending on the system.

To be able to give you a better answer I really need to know what system your running now.

mi motherboard is a Foxconn P4M9007MB Series , 3 GB of ram, 512 video geforce 8500 gt, Win 7 x64, 1 Tb Disk. The thing that makes me doubt, is if my motherboard is enough for the radeon 5850.

Well your right in thinking that it won't be using the 5850 to it's full potential as it will be 'bottlenecked' but your getting an i7 right?

It really depends on your patience I guess. If you got the quad and the 9800 you would get better performance right now. Then again if you can put up with a bit of bottlenecking until the i7 comes along you'll have a DX11 card running in a decent system.. (which would be faster than the quad+9800)
Personally I'd wait until you could buy the whole thing together (i7+5850) as prices for that card are still quite high and once Nvidia release the fermi ATI's prices will drop like a stone.

I think the fermi's prices will lower the 5970 prices, but I doubt it will lower the 5850, because I think that the nvidia counterpart of the 5850 was the gtx 285. Thanks for the advice, I think I will have to handle the bottlenecking, cause my 8500 gt isn't going to handle this years games even in low, I'm seeing it already in operation flashpoint 2..so I think the radeon 5850 is going to be the choice, and the next mayor upgrade, the i7+mb+ram..

Last edited:
The GTX 285 is a DX10 solution though and I would imagine that Nvidia will be bringing out a DX11 card in that range to battle with the 5850..

hmm, you got a good point there,but waiting till the middle of this year is not an option for me, cause In Honduras, there is not a place where I can get that card, and I'm going to get it cause my pops is going to USA to a convention..

Gotcha.. Well good luck with the build.. Be sure to keep us informed on your progress and what you end up getting..

Back