Help with Windows Server 2022 Licenses Requirement!

gitgitserver

Hi All,

I wonder if you could help me with how many windows server 2022 and SQL server licenses I need for the following:

1x Active Directory
2x Management
3x Vmware vcenter
4x Windows
1x DHCP
2x Printing server!
3x Files servers
4x VEEAM (Log backup)
5x App servers
6x App servers

Not sure how many VM machines there will be, but the physical server will have a vSphere 8.

Much appreciated.

Hello,

To calculate the number of Windows Server 2022 licenses required for your environment, you need to consider both the physical and virtual machines.

Based on your requirements, here is the breakdown:

1. Active Directory - Since this is a role rather than a physical or virtual machine, you do not need an additional license.

2. Management - Again, this is a role, so no additional license is needed.

3. VMware vCenter - vCenter does not require a separate Windows Server license as it runs on its own operating system.

4. Windows - For the four Windows servers, one license is required per physical server, and if any of these servers are virtualized, additional licenses are needed for each virtual machine. Please note that a Windows Server Standard license allows for two virtual machines or Hyper-V containers when all physical cores are licensed.

5. DHCP - This is a role, so no additional license is needed.

6. Printing Server - Similar to DHCP, this is a role and does not require an additional license.

7. File Servers - For the three file servers, licensing requirements will depend on the number of physical cores and virtual machines.

8. VEEAM (Log backup) - VEEAM itself does not require a separate Windows Server license.

9. App Servers - For the five app servers, again, the licensing requirements will depend on whether they are physical or virtual machines.

To get an accurate estimate, you would need to determine the number of virtual machines and the number of physical cores your environment will have, as these factors are crucial in determining the required licensing.

I hope this helps you get started. Let me know if you have any further questions!

I would be working with a reseller to get correct licensing. You will need to be appropriately licensed per physical CPU cores and depending how beefy the hardware is and also how many you plan to virtualize you will likely need datacenter edition licenses if it's more than 2 VMs. You will also need to purchase either device or user CALs for access to the servers. 1 user cal per user accessing any server or if users share devices to access servers then device cals.

If you have any RDS deployments planned you will also need RDS CALs

I would be working with a reseller to get correct licensing. You will need to be appropriately licensed per physical CPU cores and depending how beefy the hardware is and also how many you plan to virtualize you will likely need datacenter edition licenses if it's more than 2 VMs. You will also need to purchase either device or user CALs for access to the servers. 1 user cal per user accessing any server or if users share devices to access servers then device cals.

If you have any RDS deployments planned you will also need RDS CALs
Bi processor (2x 16) with 256 RAM, this is for 1 server and it needs to be another identical server for redundancy.
VM not sure how many, but for sure it is at least 2 VMs.
Thx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom