Windows 11 Hiding folders or files in data streams

DuckyLikesBread

is there any way to add folders to data streams, you can make new text files and apparently store file but it will always error for me, does anyone know how to make folders in data streams or commands that wont error when i try to hide a file?

ADS isn't really for security and anyone thats remotely tech savvy would be able to find them. If they are important then I would at least put them in an encrypted zip file with a password of at least 12 characters. Passwords don't need to be overly complex, just long. Longer is better so make it a phase. These are my Secret files 1!1

You could check out Wise Folder Hider.
I have a couple of folders with my personal information Social Security, Medical Records, etc. hidden using it. I've used it for years.

Once the app is installed, you just open it and tell it to hide the folders.
They visually disappear from your computer.

To get them back you open the App, put in a password and the app opens letting you unhide the folders.
You can minimize the app, but if you close the App, the folder will disappear again.

I don't put the App in view on the task bar or start menu either, I have to type a code in the start menu search to get it to show up. It's kind of overkill, more of a game than anything, but it does make it easy for me to get my SS info, etc. without having to remember where I put them.

I'm 83, I have to access this stuff a lot.

I have the folder in an easy-to-access location, but they don't exist without the app.

Mike

you could hide file on a harddrive by adjusting the mbr to say that address isn't used but the value of such a trick is limited

Just to make things clear!

In normal use of computers you never need to hide any files or folders since your private files or folders (those that remain in your profile: %UserProfile% in file explorer) are alvays PRIVATE! Other users are not able to see, use or change them!

This is due to the security in your computer.. Only the owner/mail user of the PC need to have access to the separate Administrators account, and both the owner/main user of the PC together with other users of the PC, uses a regular useraccount for their everyday use..

When done in this manner NO ONE can access any other users private files or folders (hence there is no need to hide any files/folders, since they are already hidden from everyone else)

This is how Windows i created to be used
, and that is why every proper bussiness uses their computers in this way, as should every privatly owned pc also be used.. If not to utilise this security, but also to keep malware from causing severe damage..

Please read more about this in: HOW TO BEST SECURE MY PC!
and here: 5 Reasons to Keep Admin Rights off your PC | BeyondTrust
and here: Why you should remove local administrator rights once and for all

Microsoft has nowdays eliminated the possibility to create a separate local administrators account and forces everyone to always use their Pc with an Microsoft account thas also happens to be created as an administrators account, that ruins the computers built in security..
Therefore private persons need to get assistance to install their pc in the correct manner (with full security).. I my self has used this installationhelp: Guide for Windows 11 that utilizes Answerfiles to make Windows be installed with a separate local Administrators account and it will automatically create a regular useraccount for the owner.. and to that they create a RISK-account thet is intended for more uncertain use (such as downloading torrents, checing unknown websites etc.)

These guide make your PC build a proper security that utilizes every built in security function to improve the safety of your pc, and to make all your private files truly private... (If it´s only the main PC user/owner of the PC who knows of the password to enter in the UAC prompt)
I recommend everyone to atleast check it out.. It makes even a beginner to manage to keep their pc safe since they get to install it as it is supposed to be installed..

Last edited:
is there any way to add folders to data streams, you can make new text files and apparently store file but it will always error for me, does anyone know how to make folders in data streams or commands that wont error when i try to hide a file?
What is this "data stream" you keep talking about?? A data stream is data that is in the process of being transferred, not data you have stored.

Who are you trying to hide something from? Your boss? Your network administrator? The computer owner? Another user? Some random person that you let use your computer? The boogeyman?

When done in this manner NO ONE can access any other users private files or folders (hence there is no need to hide any files/folders, since they are already hidden from everyone else)

This isn't entirely true, sure NTFS and Windows offers security however unless you are using Bit Locker and encrypting your files the built in basic security does not offer much true protection. A simple boot to a Linux flash drive/DVD can bypass NTFS security quickly.

This isn't entirely true, sure NTFS and Windows offers security however unless you are using Bit Locker and encrypting your files the built in basic security does not offer much true protection. A simple boot to a Linux flash drive/DVD can bypass NTFS security quickly.
Encrytion is an option for everyone, wheather they hide files or not..

As I saw it the main question was how you are able to hide information from other users..

Back
Top Bottom