Windows 7 High RAM usage?

Thats very odd, im also in x64, idle @ 808mb never ever seen mine hit that high, im also in 4gb ram.. :S

That does seem rather high. I'm using about 665MB of my 2048 when I have IE and Outlook open with about the same number of processes and threads as you. Very strange!

Something's having a big chomp of that ram.. mind taking a screenshot of your processor's tab?

i have the exact same problem =\

Link Removed due to 404 Error

My PC's Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 2.00 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7xxx x86 (Most Recent Build) + Fully Updaed (Yea, not big fan of 64-bit, so i installed 32-bit instead)
AntiVirus: Nod32 (Scanned PC, No Virus or wtv, everything is clean)

Hardware Rating Scores:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

any idea?

Last edited:
Anything to solve this?

My machine has plenty of power and I literally am running a fresh install of Windows 7 x64, but notice that I idle around 28% on my 4GB of RAM at all times.

Right after a reboot im sitting between 15 and 20% on 8GB. When I have some programs open, and working on things, I can be around 40%. I dont think I have ever seen it go above 75% though. I think 7 likes the RAM. :eek:

My machine has plenty of power and I literally am running a fresh install of Windows 7 x64, but notice that I idle around 28% on my 4GB of RAM at all times.

Thats not a problem unless you are experiencing a slow computer. What your seeing is Superfetch in action. Superfetch is designed to keep some of your most often used apps in memory when it thinks your going to need them based on previous uses.

If you ever ran into a low memory situation windows would very rapidly clear out that Superfetch gathered data to provide room for RAM hungry applications.However if it's really bothering you you can turn Superfetch off but I wouldn't recommend it unless you play hardcore 3D games you won't need that memory that suddenly, and you will certainly notice the difference in how long it takes to open your most commonly used programs.

Same here I see 25-28% usage of my 4gig ram, I know its normal and I like that my money is being put to use.
Its great for WOW and COD4, they use 500 mb not including system usage, same thing my money is being put to use.

Exactly the way to look at it.
It took a little getting used to since in the days of XP and before the more RAM free the better. Now with these new OS designs it's better to populate as much memory as possible (within reason) so that the system runs like a scared cat when you call it to task.
Counter-intuitive though you are inclined to think that poulated RAM is unusable but it's quickly replaced when needed.

I've got 8 gigs of ram on 64 bit and my usage after boot up is 1.38 gigs. I've got a wallpaper changer screen saver and running Comodo firewall Avast anitvirus Spybot Search and Destroy. It does seem like your usage a bit high.
Joe

high ram usage

my newly installed windows 7 professional is using huge amounts of ram up to 73 percent when idle annd when startin up its only 20 percent can someone please help
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

High RAM usage - Also @ 75% to 85% of 12GB total physical memory!

Hello all - also experiencing what I'd consider to be INSANE amounts of physical memory usage - typically 75% to 80% of total physical memory, equaling about 9208 MB to 9822 MB... Any thoughts?

Processes snapshot included for review.

Quick specs:
  • Window 7 x64 Ultimate
  • Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
  • 12 GB DDR3
  • Asus P6T
  • Samsung Spinpoint F1 RAID Class 500GB (2x in RAID, Striped) for System & Apps
  • Samsung Spinpoint F1 RAID Class 1TB (2x in RAID, Striped) for Data/Storage/App Scratch Disk
Thanks in advance for any help/feedback!

high ram usage

it could be a problem with a program called wmpnet check its ram usage in task manager and end the process should help in the short term

it could be a problem with a program called wmpnet check its ram usage in task manager and end the process should help in the short term

Thanks for the tip - showing less than 9,000k memory usage for WMPNETWK.exe in both the snapshot I posted and current task manager list. Not sure if there was a typo in your suggestion or not but that was as close to what you typed as I could find. Killed WMPNETWK.exe and still sitting at 76% RAM usage.

Any other thoughts?

well your best shot is just to look trough the task managers list and see if their is anything using up large amounts of ram and check if its an important process

well your best shot is just to look trough the task managers list and see if their is anything using up large amounts of ram and check if its an important process

OK - Thanks - did you happen to look at the snapshot I included? I know that Firefox is taking up quite a bit, as is SVCHOST & SearchIndexer, but together those top 3 hogs are only using about a gigabyte of memory total - less than 10% of physical memory. That leaves 65% of physical memory in use that's unaccounted for...

Back