Windows 7 Home Premium 32 -> Home Premium 64?

Are you planning on "upgrading" your current machine to the 64bit version? If thats true, I dont think there should be a problem - from the licensing stand point. I'm not sure about actually installing it though - did your PC come with a 64bit version on the DVD? Or a key for x64?

The PC has been upgraded from OEM Vista 32 including a "free" upgrade offer to Win7 32 (DVD) from Microsoft.

Do I have any other option than buying Win7 again?

Yes, that's what I was thinking!

bit ridiculous to have OEM pay twice for the same copy of Win7 (just switching to 64 bit) while retail includes both versions on same disc.

the catch is the upgrade offer was bound to the same bit version instead they should have offered people a choice for 64 bit - I was not aware of this condition until it was too late.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I was thinking!

bit ridiculous to have OEM pay twice for the same copy of Win7 (just switching to 64 bit) while retail includes both versions on same disc.

the catch is the upgrade offer was bound to the same bit version instead they should have offered people a choice for 64 bit - I was not aware of this condition until it was too late.

Actually the Retail Version comes with two discs.. One containing the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and one containing the 64-bit version of Windows 7.. ;)

And yes, the above posters are correct, in you're situation you will have to purchase a copy of windows 7 to install the 64-bit version.. ;)

Back