Windows 7 How can I access a .rar file?

Albert Hall

Have just downloaded a user manual for a smartphone from the manufacturer's website, and it has come down as a file-type .rar. Windows told me this is a zipped file.
There does not appear to be any software on Windows 7 to unpack this file.
I tried downloading WinZip ( a program I have used frequently in XP), but my antivirus software warned me this was a dangerous program, which should not be downloaded.

Can anybody advise, please on the best way to get to the file contents, and how to go about it?

Thanks in advance,

using Windows 7 Pro

Is there a way to open Rar files in Windows Explorer (like Zip files)? Something like rar-plugin for Explorer?

Yes 7-Zip linked above will open Rar files.
I know it will. But my question was about Windows Explorer. I can open Zip archives DIRECTLY in Windows Explorer and I would like to open Rar archives DIRECTLY in Windows Explorer too. And I am looking for solution.

What's the point? You can touch the files while in Windows Explorer and simply right-click and you'll have 4 or 5 RAR unzip options right on the task menu along with antivirus scanning, properties, etc. etc. What could be simpler than that?

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Programs that integrate directly with Explorer are kind of a past thing, they always ended up making your system less stable anyways.

What's the point? You can touch the files while in Windows Explorer and simply right-click and you'll have 4 or 5 RAR unzip options
What should I do if I want to extract a single file from large archive with tons of files? Yes, I can run WinRar or 7Zip, but I like Windows Explorer.

Programs that integrate directly with Explorer are kind of a past thing
Why do you think so?

they always ended up making your system less stable anyways.
I agree, but it depends on program developer. There are lots of stable apps and the thing I am looking for can be stable too.

Uhm to extract a single file you would simply double click the file to open it with 7-Zip navigate to the file you want to extract and either drag and drop it to Explorer where you want it, or right click and choose Copy To.

Back in the day there were a lot of Explorer style plugins that added FTP access, etc to Explorer. But these programs if they had memory leaks or other issues while running inside of Explorer could make the entire system unstable. Also if you loaded more than one Explorer window then Windows would have to host a copy of the hosted program for each Explorer executable, thus increasing memory usage across the board.

Why is it so hard to use a program like 7-Zip which already has Explorer integration, and the navigational system inside of it basically mimics Explorer's as well?

For someone to integrate a folder like structure browser for Explorer they would have to vastly understand the Windows API as well as Explorer's plugin system. Microsoft easily does this because it's their software and they know all the trade secrets. So hosting their own zipfldr.dll in order to provide the functionality is easy for them. This kind of task would take a small company and a few developers to create very well, and 7-Zip does all the functionality for free and is open source.

simply double click the file to open it with 7-Zip
I already do it but as I wrote before I like Windows Explorer.

But these programs if they had memory leaks or other issues
It only means that developers were not professionals.

if you loaded more than one Explorer window then Windows would have to host a copy of the hosted program for each Explorer
Explorer plugins are simple dlls, so there is no great memory usage.

Why is it so hard to use a program like 7-Zip?
It is not hard but as I wrote before I like Windows Explorer.

It is so funny that when I ask simple question "Is there ABC?" the only answers I have are "ABC is very bad, don`t use it, use XYZ instead".

Well here's a simpler answer for ya. To my knowledge there is no other file compression software that integrates into Windows Explorer like MS's zip folder extension. I doubt any company will make one ever as the development time for something like that is kind of a moot point when there's already programs out there to open the archives.

I found solution of my problem :) Here is my small investigation.

I found four products allows me to open archives in Explorer.

1) AlphaZip - Open ZIP files, RAR files, CAB files, 7-Zip files and more - compress and extract with Alpha ZIP.
Last update of the program was in 2013. So we can think it was abandoned.

2) Zip Magic - Affordable Disk Compression Software | Download File Compression Utility Software for Windows | Compress Email – ZIPmagic
Shareware. Author wants $29.95.

3) 7z NSE - xplorer² blog: Browse 7z/RAR/ARJ/GZIP and other compressed archives as folders
Freeware. Works correctly but in read only mode.

4) TC4Shell - http://www.tc4shell.com/
Freeware. Works correctly. My personal choice.

Maybe this list will be useful for someone else.

Hi Albert Hall. My name is Lynxis and I will be assisting you today.
The common program known for opening files with the extension of ".rar" is WinRAR.
The program only has a 30-day evaluation period, and then will start asking you to purchase the full version.
Although there will be annoying pop-ups, your "evaluation period" will go on forever free of charge.

WinRAR can be buggy at times. I do not recommend it. Most people will probably tell you to go with WinRAR, but it's a bad decision. I recommend TC4Shell HIGHLY. It is the best program.

Hello.

You could use 7-Zip File Manager software to open *.rar file. Not only view the file, you can also extract file(s) from *.rar file, or even make a file with *.rar extension.

I hope this answer could help you to find the best *.rar software.

Yours sicerely.

Have just downloaded a user manual for a smartphone from the manufacturer's website, and it has come down as a file-type .rar. Windows told me this is a zipped file.
There does not appear to be any software on Windows 7 to unpack this file.
I tried downloading WinZip ( a program I have used frequently in XP), but my antivirus software warned me this was a dangerous program, which should not be downloaded.

Can anybody advise, please on the best way to get to the file contents, and how to go about it?

Thanks in advance,

using Windows 7 Pro
Could you give me a downloadable version of the .rar file?

Save the .RAR file to the desktop. ...
Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut. ...
Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file. ...
Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.

Back
Top Bottom