Windows 8 How can i change my IP Address?

If you are on a home network, your router and Windows client system probably use DHCP leasing. This essentially means that the router assigns the IP address for the system. Traditionally, your default gateway will be 192.168.1.1 which is the local address of your router (the gateway). You can do this two ways. One is through the router. This is safer, and probably the best way, if you are using WIFI, and don't know your DHCP range. Typically, for home routers, your router will assign DHCP IP address allocation from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, so we will want to assign your IP address manully to something BELOW that. Because we don't know your router, let's do it in Windows. Note: If you're connecting through WiFi, doing this is somewhat of a bad idea, because when you go to connect to a new network, the default gateway can and will often change.

Let's go into some specifics.

To find out for sure this is what your system's IP address is, go to the Command Prompt and type in ipconfig /all

What does it say? You may see something like this:

Code:
Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-F0-49-E4-7A-56
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5599:881f:42a6:8f2a%4(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 325906505
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-99-9D-43-6C-F0-49-E4-7A-36
ipconfig.png

Now, once you know for sure what your default gateway is, you can set your network adapter's IP address to static. But you must also set domain name services to resolve 1) other devices on your local area network 2) outside requests to hostnames like "google.com"

Let's see how this is done.

Go to Network Connections by running Windows Key + R. This should open the RUN dialogue box. Enter ncpa.cpl
ncpacl.png

OK
Now you're in Network Connections:
networkcon.png

See Ethernet 2? That is my device that is connected to both my local area network and the Internet. You may have a different result, but it will usually be "Ethernet" or "Local Area Connection". Try to match up what it said when you got your default gateway in the command processor.

Let's give this a whirl. Right-click on your ethernet adapter and go to Properties.
ipv4ethprop.png

Get to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), usually by scrolling down.
Double click on this.
ipv4prop.png

See how this is set up? I have set my IP address to be below the DHCP range of 192.168.1.100-150. I have set my IP address to 192.168.1.3. I have also used the default subnet mask and default gateway listed in my IP Configuration settings found in the Windows Command Processor (command prompt).

I have set my DNS servers to 192.168.1.1 (the default gateway). This allows me to get my DNS records from my router. If this doesn't work for you, set it to something else, like Google DNS at 8.8.8.8.

My alternate DNS is Google's other public DNS server at 8.8.8.4 as a fail over mechanism.

Make sure the IP address you choose is not reserved by another device on your network. Once you commit to these changes, you should restart your computer.

Let me know if you run into difficulties and how these changes work for you. If this fails, and you lose Internet access, go back to the default settings. This means "Obtain IP address automatically" is checked. "Obtain DNS servers automatically is checked". This will get you back online. But, in any case, let me know how this works for you. Thank you.

Last edited:
If you are on a home network, your router and Windows client system probably use DHCP leasing. This essentially means that the router assigns the IP address for the system. Traditionally, your default gateway will be 192.168.1.1 which is the local address of your router (the gateway). You can do this two ways. One is through the router. This is safer, and probably the best way, if you are using WIFI, and don't know your DHCP range. Typically, for home routers, your router will assign DHCP IP address allocation from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, so we will want to assign your IP address manully to something BELOW that. Because we don't know your router, let's do it in Windows. Note: If you're connecting through WiFi, doing this is somewhat of a bad idea, because when you go to connect to a new network, the default gateway can and will often change.

Let's go into some specifics.

To find out for sure this is what your system's IP address is, go to the Command Prompt and type in ipconfig /all

What does it say? You may see something like this:

Code:
Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-F0-49-E4-7A-56
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5599:881f:42a6:8f2a%4(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 325906505
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-99-9D-43-6C-F0-49-E4-7A-36
View attachment 30244
Now, once you know for sure what your default gateway is, you can set your network adapter's IP address to static. But you must also set domain name services to resolve 1) other devices on your local area network 2) outside requests to hostnames like "google.com"

Let's see how this is done.

Go to Network Connections by running Windows Key + R. This should open the RUN dialogue box. Enter ncpa.cpl
View attachment 30245
OK
Now you're in Network Connections:
View attachment 30246
See Ethernet 2? That is my device that is connected to both my local area network and the Internet. You may have a different result, but it will usually be "Ethernet" or "Local Area Connection". Try to match up what it said when you got your default gateway in the command processor.

Let's give this a whirl. Right-click on your ethernet adapter and go to Properties.
View attachment 30247
Get to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), usually by scrolling down.
Double click on this.
View attachment 30248

See how this is set up? I have set my IP address to be below the DHCP range of 192.168.1.100-150. I have set my IP address to 192.168.1.3. I have also used the default subnet mask and default gateway listed in my IP Configuration settings found in the Windows Command Processor (command prompt).

I have set my DNS servers to 192.168.1.1 (the default gateway). This allows me to get my DNS records from my router. If this doesn't work for you, set it to something else, like Google DNS at 8.8.8.8.

My alternate DNS is Google's other public DNS server at 8.8.8.4 as a fail over mechanism.

Make sure the IP address you choose is not reserved by another device on your network. Once you commit to these changes, you should restart your computer.

Let me know if you run into difficulties and how these changes work for you. If this fails, and you lose Internet access, go back to the default settings. This means "Obtain IP address automatically" is checked. "Obtain DNS servers automatically is checked". This will get you back online. But, in any case, let me know how this works for you. Thank you.
Hi, i use a small modem USB to connect to internet, i don't have gateway and subnet mask and also the alternate tab.

I am on mobile, but if I understand correctly, you do not use a router. With that being said, your public IP will be assigned by your ISP. Contact your ISP for changing the public IP address.

Back
Top Bottom