Windows 7 How can i downgrade from Win 7 Pro to XP Pro?

I have windows 7 Pro and i want to downgrade to XP Pro, because some uplications i use don't work ok with 7 even if i run it as compatible to XP.
Any, i know that win 7 Pro can downgrate to XP Pro by using the same key, but i can not figure uot how. i try to install XP Pro using Win 7 key put it doesn't work.

Anyone knows how to do it?

Thank you

as previously mentioned, not without wiping the harddrive, using XP installer, and having a product key. That said if you do have to go down that route, theres nothing stopping you install BOTH on a multi boot menu... all you need to do is partition the hard drive (about 20-30gig for XP and about 40+gig for Windows 7. all you need to do there is installed XP onto partition A, and when you install windows 7 put that to partition B and it automatically makes a dual boot menu.

Last edited:
I contact Microsoft and they told me that i have to install win XP pro with an old key from another pc and after to contact them by phone in order to activate it with the win 7 pro key. There is no other way of downgrade. This is the stu... thing ever. So a guy like that i build pc, i have to go to go to my customers and ask them for xp key in order to use it for someone else. >:p

Also worth mentioning that on Windows 7, microsoft's Virtual machine is XP service pack 3 with built in key preactivated :)

I use XP virtual for just that reason I have a program that will not run in W& 64 bit machine but runs quite well in XP virtual. At full screen the defailt rexolution is 16 bit but if you want full screen resolution of 24 bit here is the hack you must perform to get 24 bit colour in full screen xp virtual this will give you 24 bit colour in full screen on XP virtual, you can get 32 bit if you do not run XP virtual at full screen
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Go to this location and create a new Dword[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ColorDepth=dword:00000004[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I try to work with XP Mode but this PC doesn't support it. Some how i have to find an old XP Pro key.

Thank you guys

I try to work with XP Mode but this PC doesn't support it. Some how i have to find an old XP Pro key.

Thank you guys

Thank you guys

You needn't worry about XP license when you run it in XP Mode.

The big deal about XP Mode is licensing. If you own Windows 7 Professional or higher, you automatically get the right to download and use a licensed copy of XP, neatly packaged in a VHD and ready to run in the XP Mode environment. : )

@Cybercore

wasn't there something on intel chips you needed to be able to use the feature in bios? or was it just a enhanced hardware accelerated thing... which works even on software only.

@Cybercore

wasn't there something on intel chips you needed to be able to use the feature in bios? or was it just a enhanced hardware accelerated thing... which works even on software only.

Yes the PC must have some intel chip to be able to use XP mode, and it doesn't have it.

@Cybercore

Yes the PC must have some intel chip to be able to use XP mode, and it doesn't have it.

Back