Windows 7 How do i block my motherboard ports?

poof

I have a touchscreen only kiosk and i want to block the ports on the motherboard so no one can plug anything into it. This includes a keyboard, which i will still need to use to access the machine, so im thinking that whatever method could achieve this would have to be enabled after i log in, and then reset on reboot. I know kiosk software can do this but i'd really like to find a free method if possible.

Well depending on how much control you have in motherboard bios you could disable some of the ports. but alot of the store bought computers have limited bios options but if it is custom built it might have the options there I am pretty sure you can not disable the keyboard in any bios since it is required to even get into bios. But if you are running windows xp you could make a hardware profile all the info on hardware profiles can be found here Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I see, so the mod on a win 7 forum gives me advice for win xp. oh and thanks for the bios tip, ill remember that next time i buy a motherboard that allows me to permanently brick it.

That response is uncalled for. You can't brick your MoBo using the suggestions that Krypto made. Resetting your MoBo Bios to factory defaults is a simple processes of resetting a jumper or worst case removing the CMOS battery. Many BIOS setting will allow you to do some if not all of what you want, you can disable USB ports, serial and lpt ports, even set CD and DVD drives to "Not Present", relatively cheap and simple process.
Alternately you could and probably should buy a cabinet enclosure that will allow you to secure the computer and peripherals and only expose the touch screen to potential kiosk users. And if you are concerned about the keyboard then you should also disable the Windows 7 on screen keyboard

Oh i may have been a little hasty in that answer, my apologies. Even so, it doesnt help me as i will still need to keyboard to login, just not past that point. And enclosures are good up to a point, but i need a software solution that will block all external ports. I was hoping that windows would allow some way to do this, but apparently system security has never been a goal of microsoft.

Last edited:
Back