Windows 7 How do I change items in context (right click) menu?

MikeyChris

Extraordinary Member
Specifically, I want to change the program that launches when I right click a jpeg file and click EDIT. Presently PAINT launches, I want to change that to PSP.EXE. This used to be easy in earlier versions of windows as I recall. Thanx.

• Open Regedit
  • Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
  • Locate and expand jpegfile
  • Expand shell
  • Right click Shell and create a new key, name it whatever you want to show up as in the context menu
    • Optional
    • Select the key you made and right click an empty space on the right create a new > string value named Position double click the value and set it to Top, Middle or Bottom to specify where it shows up in the menu
    • Right click the empty space again and create another string value called Icon and double click it and give it the full path to the .exe to set an icon on the right click entry
  • Right click the key you made under Shell and select new key. Name this command
  • Click on the command key and double click on the (Default) value on the right, enter the full path to the exe with quotes if the path has spaces and "%1" after that so if I wanted to open a jpeg with notepad it would be "C:\Windows\notepad.exe" "%1"
All done, right click your jpeg and you should see a menu entry

It also might be prudent to backup your Registry via the Export function in Regedit, in case something goes wrong (like you make a type or something). I would also ensure that your System Restore function is configured and enabled, and also set a Restore Point. These 2 tasks which take only a few minutes, can undo any mistakes you make while making a new entry. Beyond, that, having a Image File backup (such as Macrium, or EASEus) of your hard drive saved to external media can also be a lifesaver in case something gets scrambled in your windows that those 2 undo functions can't restore.

You can also try to use Default Programs association, and change the default launched program for all JPG image files. You should be able to change it from Paint (W7 default) to any other installed Image editing program such as your PSP or another like Paint.net or GIMP.

Best,:lightbulb:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

• Open Regedit
  • Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
  • Locate and expand jpegfile
  • Expand shell
  • Right click Shell and create a new key, name it whatever you want to show up as in the context menu
    • Optional
    • Select the key you made and right click an empty space on the right create a new > string value named Position double click the value and set it to Top, Middle or Bottom to specify where it shows up in the menu
    • Right click the empty space again and create another string value called Icon and double click it and give it the full path to the .exe to set an icon on the right click entry
  • Right click the key you made under Shell and select new key. Name this command
  • Click on the command key and double click on the (Default) value on the right, enter the full path to the exe with quotes if the path has spaces and "%1" after that so if I wanted to open a jpeg with notepad it would be "C:\Windows\notepad.exe" "%1"
All done, right click your jpeg and you should see a menu entry
Thanx for the info. For some reason nothing happened when I did that. Not sure, as it certainly made sense. In any case I downloaded TYPES and it lets me do what I want without directly changing Reg entries.

It also might be prudent to backup your Registry via the Export function in Regedit, in case something goes wrong (like you make a type or something). I would also ensure that your System Restore function is configured and enabled, and also set a Restore Point. These 2 tasks which take only a few minutes, can undo any mistakes you make while making a new entry. Beyond, that, having a Image File backup (such as Macrium, or EASEus) of your hard drive saved to external media can also be a lifesaver in case something gets scrambled in your windows that those 2 undo functions can't restore.

You can also try to use Default Programs association, and change the default launched program for all JPG image files. You should be able to change it from Paint (W7 default) to any other installed Image editing program such as your PSP or another like Paint.net or GIMP.

Best,:lightbulb:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>
Thanx for the reply. Default programs doesn't get me there. I want to edit specific commands on context menu.
I totally agree about backups!

You're welcome! :up: Glad to help. Best of luck to you! Hopefully, Neem's suggestions will get you going. Let us know how it turns out, so we can share your final solutions with our other forum users.

Cheers!
BBJ

Back
Top Bottom