Windows 8 How Do I Create A Backup Of A Backup Of Windows 8.1

MrJunky

I have windows 10 and sadly stuck with it unless I restore my PC to factory settings. Now Windows 8.1 was the last stable Windows OS I had (I know many hated windows 8.1 but I loved it)

Now I have my main USB Hardrive which contains all of my media, videos, software, etc. I want to put these files needed to install Windows 8.1 (And Windows 8.1 updates if possible) onto this hardrive. I AM NOT GOING TO USE THIS HARDRIVE TO INSTALL WINDOWS 8.1 ON A PC. I am only using the hardrive to backup the files needed to install Windows 8.1. And then later on when I want to install Windows 8.1 I can copy these files from my hardrive to a separate hardrive and use this seperate hardrive to install Windows 8.1. And is it possible to install Windows 8.1 on new PCs that come with Windows 10 or even newer Windows OS in the future? The reason for all of this is to be able to use applications that will no longer work on future Windows OS systems.

It seems like you want to backup the "files needed to install Windows 8.1" to the main USB hard drive. You definitely need the backup image of Windows 8.1 OS to reinstall later when necessary. If you want to keep everything personal in that operating system, a disk imaging software for Windows 8(8.1) is required. And yes, you can install Windows 8.1 on new PCs that comes with Windows 10 or even newer Windows OS. If the PC supports advanced OS of Microsoft Windows, it should be available to their previous OS.

It seems like you want to backup the "files needed to install Windows 8.1" to the main USB hard drive. You definitely need the backup image of Windows 8.1 OS to reinstall later when necessary. If you want to keep everything personal in that operating system, a disk imaging software for Windows 8(8.1) is required. And yes, you can install Windows 8.1 on new PCs that comes with Windows 10 or even newer Windows OS. If the PC supports advanced OS of Microsoft Windows, it should be available to their previous OS.

Yes thats exactly what I want to do but by personal files you mean any files, documents that I have and use not files needed to run Windows 8.1?

And all I need to backup windows 8.1 is backup image or an ISO of windows 8.1?

i use Acronis true image which is my goto backup software however there are other "Free" options out there that have basic backup and recovery tools.

DON'T use the default windows software to make system backups and make sure whatever software you decide to use can boot from the images it creates

Yes thats exactly what I want to do but by personal files you mean any files, documents that I have and use not files needed to run Windows 8.1?

And all I need to backup windows 8.1 is backup image or an ISO of windows 8.1?
No, I mean personal settings in the OS only, like admin and password and other changes you made in the system settings. The other kinds of personal files you created aren't necessary in reinstalling. For instance, you can reinstall some third party software later after you installed the system to new PC. So here is the difference. If you want to keep personal settings in Windows 8.1, try backup image to USB drive using backup software. And restore the image using that software to new PC. If you want to clean install the OS, download the Windows 8.1 ISO file to USB drive from Microsoft store. No need to use backup software. Both situations need to make the USB drive bootable.

No, I mean personal settings in the OS only, like admin and password and other changes you made in the system settings. The other kinds of personal files you created aren't necessary in reinstalling. For instance, you can reinstall some third party software later after you installed the system to new PC. So here is the difference. If you want to keep personal settings in Windows 8.1, try backup image to USB drive using backup software. And restore the image using that software to new PC. If you want to clean install the OS, download the Windows 8.1 ISO file to USB drive from Microsoft store. No need to use backup software. Both situations need to make the USB drive bootable.

OK I will go and get Windows 8.1 ISO file from the Microsoft Store but the only thing I am confused about is what do I need to do to make the ISO bootable on a USB drive?

EDIT: I have seen videos of people using programs that emulate OS systems on your PC so you can essentially have multiple Windows OS systems on one PC by opening a program which will launch a virtual machine that is Windows XP, 7 or 8.1 but I have used some emulators before and emulators don't always work with some applications. Is this the case with the virtual machines programs.

Last edited:
Lots of good information here, Mr.Junky,

However, referencing OJ's post for image backups made in POST #2; I have a problem with him recommending the built-in W10 image backup software and also the AOEMI Backupper program. We know for a fact that the Microsoft image backup program is NOT reliable, in W10 or just about any earlier version of windows you wish to name. We don't recommend it nor use it.:ohno: Additionally, I personally did testing of ALL the major image backup softwares available on the Internet over the last 2 years. AOEMI did not work for us, and unless they've added something to their new versions this year, there software wasn't even capable of performing image backups in W10 properly as of last Oct. 2015. :headache:

The only 3 image backup softwares we've tested that work with W10 on this forum are (1.) Macrium Reflect, (2.) Acronis TrueImage, and (3.) EASETodo. The rest either don't work as advertised or none of has yet tested their products to work in W10. (Norway's recommendation on Acronis was in line with this list). ;)

Regarding the virtual programs, that has been true since they came out many years ago. The best of this is VMware, and they are helpful for troubleshooting software, old games, old obsolete software, etc. but has never been 100% from day one. At one company I worked for we had a whole team of engineers that did nothing all day but find incompatible programs and OSes with virtual environments and published a list online. If you install a virtual product and find it works with a program or 2 you used to use in W8x or older windows, then stick with it. Just don't expect it to be a panacea for all old programs ever made or ever sold going back to Windows3.0 for example.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

EDIT: I have seen videos of people using programs that emulate OS systems on your PC so you can essentially have multiple Windows OS systems on one PC by opening a program which will launch a virtual machine that is Windows XP, 7 or 8.1 but I have used some emulators before and emulators don't always work with some applications. Is this the case with the virtual machines programs.
an emulator is different software... if you need the g-card on the V-machine then I'd use vmware workstation to mount your V-(xp, w7, linux etc) systems but the better option otherwise is Hyper-v and it comes free with pro w8.1 or pro wx.
p.s, you can have one or the other but not both on the same machine unless you do a dual boot.

Lots of good information here, Mr.Junky,

Regarding the virtual programs, that has been true since they came out many years ago. The best of this is VMware, and they are helpful for troubleshooting software, old games, old obsolete software, etc. but has never been 100% from day one. At one company I worked for we had a whole team of engineers that did nothing all day but find incompatible programs and OSes with virtual environments and published a list online. If you install a virtual product and find it works with a program or 2 you used to use in W8x or older windows, then stick with it. Just don't expect it to be a panacea for all old programs ever made or ever sold going back to Windows3.0 for example.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I would prefer using virtual machines since it will be cheaper since I can have one PC and not multiple PCs. The reason I want to use older OS systems is that Windows 10 is making it hard for my favorites programs and games to work. And with every windows 10 update it only gets worse. And Windows 8.1 was the last stable OS that worked with all of my favorites programs and games. I think I am going to try virtual box since its free but if not I will buy VMware. Do you know where I can find a list of programs that work on virtual machines?

I have gotten a Windows 8.1.iso from Microsoft but I need a Product Key to install it in Virtualbox. And I had one more question concerning product keys

If I was to buy a Windows 8.1 Product key or the disc from a retail that includes a product key can I use it more than once? If I were to install it on a Virtual Machine and then in a few years when I get a new PC install it again in my new PC on a Virtual Machine?

Not if it is still in use and it also depends on whether or not you buy an "oem" key or "retail" key.
A retail key can be reused on another motherboard, an "oem" key can only be used on the first motherboard it was installed on
and whether it is virtual or not doesn't make any difference.

Not if it is still in use and it also depends on whether or not you buy an "oem" key or "retail" key.
A retail key can be reused on another motherboard, an "oem" key can only be used on the first motherboard it was installed on
and whether it is virtual or not doesn't make any difference.

Where can I get a retail key? I cant only find OEM packages of Windows 8.1 to buy.

I think I am going to try virtual box since its free but if not I will buy VMware. Do you know where I can find a list of programs that work on virtual machines?

any software that runs on a general copy of the op system will also run on a vmware system... the only time you run into issues is with software made for the motherboard i.e, an Asus sonicmaster laptop will have a Vimo key and that software needs an Asus board to work as intended however you could install vmware on that motherboard and use it to make a v-copy of that board... now the Vimo key will work as it thinks it is installed on an Asus board.

p.s, allow extra ram for vmware systems

If I was to buy a Windows 8.1 Product key or the disc from a retail that includes a product key can I use it more than once? If I were to install it on a Virtual Machine and then in a few years when I get a new PC install it again in my new PC on a Virtual Machine?

Microsoft key do not care if the system is real or Virtual... one key per system is the general rule but there are some work arounds.
you can make a v-copy of a real system that keeps its Microsoft key as long as you don't use the old one and the new one at the same time... the idea is to keep a working backup before installing some software you think may cause issues later on.

Where can I get a retail key?
you can get msdn keys from Microsoft... the rules here change between countrys but in Australia any student doing at least a cert 4 is allowed a msdn account and that gives them one copy of every Microsoft system for their own use so 1 windows 8, 8.1, 10 and one of each server + some other software like the atuomaps and visual basic

Is the retail version a dumb down version of the OS? When I think of retail versions I think of demo versions used on PCs that are on display in electronic stores and do not have all the features like accessing the registry and settings.

Without going into detail that will numb your cerebral cortex,:skull: the basic difference is that retail versions are for home users who want to install a generic version of Windows on either an OEM computer (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Asus) or a self-built PC; and then download all the drivers from the OEM website or the Motherboard website and try to make them all work.

The OEM versions are for system builders, clone outfits like ZT Systems in New Jersey, or your local clone shop in the strip mall near where you live. It's also used by the big guys (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Asus), and they have license to add programming in to include model specific drivers into the Windows load image. In other words, system builders can tweak Windows to add stuff in to support their own brand of hardware. Retail version doesn't allow this.

BBJ

Without going into detail that will numb your cerebral cortex,:skull: the basic difference is that retail versions are for home users who want to install a generic version of Windows on either an OEM computer (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Asus) or a self-built PC; and then download all the drivers from the OEM website or the Motherboard website and try to make them all work.

The OEM versions are for system builders, clone outfits like ZT Systems in New Jersey, or your local clone shop in the strip mall near where you live. It's also used by the big guys (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Asus), and they have license to add programming in to include model specific drivers into the Windows load image. In other words, system builders can tweak Windows to add stuff in to support their own brand of hardware. Retail version doesn't allow this.

BBJ

OK So the best option for me with using Windows 8.1 in VirtualBox is to buy a retail product key. Therefore I can reuse the key when I install virtualbox and windows 8.1 on future computers I buy.

Back