Windows 7 how do I make it all look normal?

thanks. I really don't mind change. (I know I sound like I do), I just don't like it when it messes with my life this bad. especially when it is totally random and unnecessary.

does your wife have a clicky too?

ok, now how do I change a file type without getting another program? I used to be able to just select the part after the dot and change it. like from .txt to .htm. now I need to change a file that thinks it's a .psd but it is really a .pat.

ok... I think I found a way to easily fix the folders: http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/ it costs money, but it is only about $10, and most of the icon sets are between free and $5 and it sounds super easy rather then going and doing it all manually or even half manually with restorator....

Last edited:

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
does your wife have a clicky too?

ok, now how do I change a file type without getting another program? I used to be able to just select the part after the dot and change it. like from .txt to .htm. now I need to change a file that thinks it's a .psd but it is really a .pat.
I don't think so. But then I have no idea what a clicky is. At least I've never heard her making clicky sounds.

You probably need to Take Ownership of the file. There is a registry tweak download that will add Take Ownership to the right click menu.

http://www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option-in-file-folder-context-menu-in-windows-vista/

:) Ok, I guess she doesn't. I love my IBM clicky keyboard. it goes clicky clicky, clicky, clicky when I type. My husband is always making fun of me for my loud typing, but I just love the feel of this keyboard. It just feels sooo much better then my laptop. But it is from an era before the win key so there is just a blank nothing there. (mine looks just like this)

I have ownership of the file. But it won't show me the file type in the name. instead of showing me file.type it just shows me file. I think it used to be a setting somewhere that you had to enable to show those things but I can't remember where it was and I have no idea if they decided to take that option away too.

Last edited:

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
You can show file types.

Open: Windows Explorer.
Click: Organize - Search options.
Click: the View tab
In Advanced settings: uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

That should do it.

thank you. that worked.

Or click Start and type "ex" and select it from the menu.

It would seem.....

You may be refering to the "Classic" style.
MS in their Infinite wisdom have decided we as users NO longer need it, and it has been removed.
I like the OLD "CLASSIC" style and we will NOT be going to WIN7.:mad:

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.